Winters...

M
mikeredding
Winters...

very cool. sucks about the rod.

N
Native Fisher
ChezJfrey said:
You mean at 1:45? Ouch. Great looking water and fantastic fish hooked. Fun, fun.

Yeah, the sound of it breaking was like an explosion, was really loud lol. At first I thought/hoped it had just come apart at the joint, then I saw the eye was still there andnew it had broke just above. I'm going to get a featha styx as a replacment...I love my Si, but I can't spring for another $400 rod.

C
ChezJfrey
IMAG0015.jpg

Ta da! First winter today. And three days sooner than my first one last year :)

N
Native Fisher
ChezJfrey said:

SWEET! Way to go. Rivers here blew out last night, should be fishable soon though, hope to have a picture with that same pattern in a winters mouth this week.

C_Run
C_Run
ChezJfrey said:

Is there any month of the year you have NOT caught a steelhead? If so, which one(s)?

C
ChezJfrey
C_Run said:
Is there any month of the year you have NOT caught a steelhead? If so, which one(s)?

C'mon...too easy. I can do that on one river ;)

O
OH3Sticks
ChezJfrey said:

Question on bobbers, I'm gonna fish them hard on the sandy and clack this winter. I have a spinning set up with braid, what kind of bobber do you prefer, slip or fixed? Especially when fishing a jig?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H
halibuthitman
that's pretty impressive, every single month... now whats your goal? do it with the flyrod?

N
Native Fisher
halibuthitman said:
that's pretty impressive, every single month... now whats your goal? do it with the flyrod?

I think he should do it with the very same jig and leader.

C_Run
C_Run
Every month. That's what I suspected. You know there is such a thing as "salmon" , too.

O
OnTheDrop
ChezJfrey said:

Well done! Not to be that guy..BUT.. That does look like a skinny fall steelhead or a summer? Usually the first winters we see on Clack are vent clipped and heading to E.C..

Any thoughts Chez? Pics are deceiving, just chit chatting.

Good luck,

C
ChezJfrey
halibuthitman said:

Yeah, but that's gonna be tough. First season ever, this time around, that I've even attempted winters with it. Been giving it a go, but have yet to connect. Need to work on my presentation and skills, but if I keep at it, I should get the hang of it. Also, with more use, I'm starting to realize the limitation of my crappy rod...kind of like I did drifting where I finally pulled the trigger on a nicer drift rod; probably gonna do the same for my fly set up soon.

C
ChezJfrey
OH3Sticks said:
Question on bobbers, I'm gonna fish them hard on the sandy and clack this winter. I have a spinning set up with braid, what kind of bobber do you prefer, slip or fixed? Especially when fishing a jig?

Slip. Easier and quicker to change depth when working up/down the runs.

C
ChezJfrey
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Well done! Not to be that guy..BUT.. That does look like a skinny fall steelhead or a summer? Usually the first winters we see on Clack are vent clipped and heading to E.C..

Any thoughts Chez? Pics are deceiving, just chit chatting.

Good luck,

Was a fat, full of eggs hen. Also wasn't missing that right max and all my summers, for several years running, always have that missing. I agree that the early fish are typically the EC ones, but that run for a couple years seemed extinct too. I think last year some finally showed up, but 2011 and 2012 seemed almost non-existent? The tag counts at ODFW for EC show almost nothing.

Oh, and caught another hen this morning on a spoon :)

C
ChezJfrey
C_Run said:
Every month. That's what I suspected. You know there is such a thing as "salmon" , too.

Can't make myself do it ;)

O
OnTheDrop
ChezJfrey said:
Was a fat, full of eggs hen. Also wasn't missing that right max and all my summers, for several years running, always have that missing. I agree that the early fish are typically the EC ones, but that run for a couple years seemed extinct too. I think last year some finally showed up, but 2011 and 2012 seemed almost non-existent? The tag counts at ODFW for EC show almost nothing.

Oh, and caught another hen this morning on a spoon :)

Yeah, they cut their runs down substantially. 2010 was epic up there....Will never forget that winter.

Another one? Give me a break...I haven't even started tying rigs yet...Looks like I need to get it going!

T
Troutslayerjenn
If you don't mind me asking, what river are you on? Im dying to fish for steelhead on the clackamas but my dad keeps telling me its too early. And since I have yet to catch a steelhead EVER I tend to listen to him

C
ChezJfrey
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Yeah, they cut their runs down substantially. 2010 was epic up there....Will never forget that winter.

Another one? Give me a break...I haven't even started tying rigs yet...Looks like I need to get it going!

So ODFW finally put up the link to the 2013 catch stats...EC had 61 steelhead tagged for 2013. Yeah, that's the entire year...worst year of the 8 years of data I have looked at.

2006 = 673
2007 = 705
2008 = 333
2009 = 790
2010 = 806
2011 = 206
2012 = 149
2013 = 61

Nice trend.

H
halibuthitman
The clack is definitely a year round steelhead fishery..and with that perfectly timed rain the last two weeks theres no reason a few winters shouldnt be around-

O
OnTheDrop
halibuthitman said:
The clack is definitely a year round steelhead fishery..and with that perfectly timed rain the last two weeks theres no reason a few winters shouldnt be around-

There is no winters in the Clackamas... I repeat, there is NO WINTER STEELHEAD in the Clackamas.