Wind and rattlers

Irishrover
Irishrover
I made it over to the Crooked below Bowman Dam today. I got a real early start and hit the water at noon.;) Lost a few and brought five in. Then the wind picked up and that place can be one heck of a wind tunnel. I called it quits at 4:00 and headed back to Culver. Wind is without a doubt the bain of fisherman. While I was walkin along the river bank I was busy trying to read the water and looking for active fish. I happened to glace down and saw a rattler just infront of me crawling away. He didn't make a sound, coil or anything just left the area. I thought that was rather nice of him. The water was low and to keep from sagging the bottom I swung a soft hackle. It sure seemed to work, unlike the attachment funtion for pictures.

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice job lon!!! i love that river..that wind is a pain though.. its hard to keep your hat from blowing right off your head!!! :lol:

Irishrover
Irishrover
brandon4455 said:
nice job lon!!! i love that river..that wind is a pain though.. its hard to keep your hat from blowing right off your head!!! :lol:

Funny you should mention hats.......I took mine off my head put a rock in it and put it on the bank so it would not blow away!

B
bigsteel
good to see you gettin out lonn,ill let ya know next time we head over to the crooked and we can fish together

O
OnTheFly
Not a very polite or experienced rattlesnake that's for sure. I'll remember the soft hackle idea on my next trip.

troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover said:
It sure seemed to work, unlike the attachment funtion for pictures.

I, too, had a VERY frustrating experience with adding attached pics yesterday. GRRRRRR! :mad: :mad:

Happy too see that the rattler didn't like white meat. And glad you got some fish for your efforts. :)

S
steelhead_slayer
The majority of rattlers I see don't rattle at me either. Nice report

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Not a very polite or experienced rattlesnake that's for sure. I'll remember the soft hackle idea on my next trip.

its fun as heck on a river like that..they follow it all the way across and SMASH!!!

O
OnTheFly
brandon4455 said:
its fun as heck on a river like that..they follow it all the way across and SMASH!!!
I'm so behind on my fly tying so I better get with it.

S
sunsalem
Rattlesnakes won't rattle unless they feel threatened (at least that was my 10 year experience in Arizona)...;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
sunsalem said:
Rattlesnakes won't rattle unless they feel threatened (at least that was my 10 year experience in Arizona)...;)

That make me wonder how many rattlers I haven't seen while fishing up there. Guess I'll pay more attention and keep that non threatening look.:lol:

L
lilsalmon
Sounds like a fun time 'cept for the wind. Lucky OTF wasn't with you, he would have molested the fish with his rod tip....hehe. I am ready to go back for a few days of camping and fishing soon......

O
OnTheFly
lilsalmon said:
Sounds like a fun time 'cept for the wind. Lucky OTF wasn't with you, he would have molested the snake with his rod tip....hehe. I am ready to go back for a few days of camping and fishing soon......
Fixed.;) Yeah we found out they get pretty upset when cornered and jabbed with the end of a fly rod.

C
cowboysfan
i absolutely hate snakes i am an absolute wreck when i fish around shearers, also was the same way fishing crooked river down below smith rock, you guys can have them stretches of river. I had problems with attachments just like you guys did but i did just get done running a thread in recipes and i used the icon between the title and message box, it is the little square one to the right of the film looking icon 6th from thr right on the second line underneath the paper clip, It worked great

S
sunsalem
cowboysfan said:
i absolutely hate snakes i am an absolute wreck when i fish around shearers, also was the same way fishing crooked river down below smith rock, you guys can have them stretches of river.
In the Arizona deserts there are large reserviors (particularly near Phoenix).
Water attracts prey animals of the rattlers, which means.....

I have seen rattlers literally hanging off of trees along the shorelines.
It's a little spooky to look up and have a snake at eye-level.:shock:

J
JeannaJigs
^^^ EFF THAT!

I was in constant anxiety mode over that way this weekend. CONSTANT.

M
mikeg
Wow, That's a little unnerving. I plan on heading over there with my two boys. What if one of them gets bitten by a Rattler, what do I do and where is the nearest place for help?

S
steelhead_slayer
Prineville hospital. Not the the best hospital IMO, but they will get the job done. I suggest walking with your rod out in front of you even tapping the ground if you want. This will help you spot them in advance. You should be fine though just keep an eye out