Willamette trips out of Newberg and out of West Linn

bass
I hit the Willamette out of Newberg on August 15. I had a bit of a topwater bite to start the day. I had to downsize to a Heddon Baby Torpedo to get that going - I did not get any hits on Sammy or a Choppo. After the brief topwater flurry the rest of the day belonged to soft plastic. Most of the fish came on a Ned rig, some on a dropshot and some on a swim jig with a creature trailer. I have started throwing the swim jig + creature more to try to increase the quality of the fish that I catch. That seems to work somewhat. My best fish did come on the swim jig and I don't seem to hook nearly as many dinks. I ended up with 41 bass with the biggest being a 2lb 1oz smallmouth.

Most all of the fish came from deeper rock (10'-25). A good sonar goes a long way to effectively finding and fishing those structures.

I hit the Willamette out of West Linn on August 21. There was cloud cover most of the day and the topwater bite was really good all day long. I started with a Sammy but after a few half-hearted strikes I switched to a Choppo and that seemed to be like switching from a tofu burger to a ribeye. The fish were smashing the Choppo all day long. I did spend some time throwing other lures, going back over productive spots with a Ned rig, drop shot, swim jig+creature, swimbait and spinnerbait. They all caught fish (just one of those wonderful days) but they seemed to hit the Choppo the best. Plus, I am not going to pass up a topwater bite!

I put in a long 10 hour day but I ended up with 68 bass. The big was only 2lb 0oz but it was still a blast. The river was crazy busy with fisherman. Lots of bass boats and lots of kayaks fishing for bass. I am not sure how most other folks did. I had most all of my success out on the mid-river humps and it seemed like most folks were beating the bank. I guess there were fish there as well but it was nice to really have all the water I wanted to fish to myself on such a busy day.

Funny thing is that I did not see much topwater activity (other than the fish eating my Choppo) all day long. I kept thinking that the topwater bite has to die soo but those fish were just nuts all day long. Usually when I am having a good topwater day I see lots of surface activity but I guess this showed that is not necessary.

I have to say again that having the really great maps built up on my Garmin (made through Quickdraw) is incredibly helpful. Those maps coupled with a heading sensor, good 2D and SIdevu make for a deadly screen setup. It is easy to find those mid-river humps and to position myself exactly where I want to be on them once I figure out how the fish are setup. Most of the fish were in 5'-10' of water but I did catch some deeper as well. To be fair there may have been a ton of fish deeper as well but I am not going to seek out deepwater fish when I am having an awesome topwater day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fromthelogo, Markk and Admin
B
Bassnoob
Thanks for sharing, both days sound perfect im soooooo jealous. Your setup looks awesome youve got it figured out!!!! I spent the last weekend exploring Albany and Corvallis areas blindly instead of fishing, not really sure what im doing figured id just get out there. Without doing much homework I ended up kind of overwhelmed and at a loss, nothing to show except a bunch of scrapes and cuts. It seems most access to what my rookie eyes see as a "good spot" is on private land which I respect and do not trespass. Hopefully this weekend I can find a solid lake/pond spot and get familiar with the gear and solid bass fishing in.

bass
Shore fishing opportunities are definitely tough to come by. That was my main motivation for getting a kayak in the first place. I hope you have good luck finding some spots. I believe I saw a YouTube video of folks catching smallies at Hyak Park boat ramp between Corvallis and Albany. Maybe check that out.