Wickiup open

P
pkasperek
I just got off the phone with one of the forest rangers in Crescent and apparently as of today Cascade lakes Highway is closed. Sentry Drive is only open from lapine to Twin lakes turn and the Gull point launch is open and ready

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah we decided we're postponing for about 3 weeks lol. Screw that noise!

M
mikeredding
Yeah I am thinking the 21st. Should be nice by then.

T
TTFishon
mikeredding said:
Yeah I am thinking the 21st. Should be nice by then.

Yeah, that's wwhen I'm going too.

W
Wick1up
Everyone bailin? Looks like Ill be gettin my prime camping spot.

M
mikeredding
Wick1up said:
Everyone bailin? Looks like Ill be gettin my prime camping spot.

You go for it. I don't do the snow camping thing anymore. Too old for that BS.

W
Wick1up
mikeredding said:
You go for it. I don't do the snow camping thing anymore. Too old for that BS.

Hahahahah I went snow camping in Febuary on Tumalo mt. This is nothin. Time for a wall tent!!

T
TTFishon
I don't mind snow camping myself. Especially if it means less people.

J
JeannaJigs
Snow camping is fine if you have the gear for it. I used to. That said now all I have is a cheap tent that my dog tore her own dog door in and a crappy sleeping bag that will keep me warm if it's like 60 degrees lol.

H
Hawk
i usually fly up thar on my ultralite...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

j/k :rolleyes:

brandon4455
brandon4455
Hawk said:
i usually fly up thar on my ultralite...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

j/k :rolleyes:

:lol:

M
mikeredding
Good luck everybody. I expect to hear some reports.

S
Stan-2007
We fished Wikiup Saturday from 6:30am to 12:00pm with one bite, no hook-ups. Tried everything from trolling to jigging when we marked fished. No success. None of the other boats that we saw had caught anything. When we came in at 12:30pmthe game ranger at the Gull Point boat ramp stated that only 1 trout and 1 catfish had been brought in that day as of that time. Water temperature was a balmy 44° in the warmest part of the channels, and 42° average in the rest of the lake.

We tried again in the evening and only fished for 2 1/2 hours only in the Deschutes channel for Browns. One bite again and no hook-ups. Luckily, we rented a row boat at South Twin in between and caught a limit of stockers in 1 hour and had a quick shore lunch.

M
mikeredding
Thanks for the report. I guess I didn't miss anything.

T
TTFishon
mikeredding said:
Thanks for the report. I guess I didn't miss anything.

I did. Camping at Wickiup on opening weekend has been a tradition with me and my friends now for more than 20 years. Even if we don't catch fish we have a great time hanging out, drinking lots of beer, and blazing a big fire.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah I missed out. want to make it a tradition but with closed roads the trip was just too long.

T
TTFishon
Yeah, it would've been a pain and cost more than I would've wanted to spend on gas.

J
JeannaJigs
The 14th!!

T
TTFishon
Should be a little warmer by then. lol

J
JeannaJigs
Hopefully, but it's oregon...lol