Where's my fly? What's my problem?

T
Tinker
halibuthitman said:
Ok, your going to think im insane, but go to ebay.. Look up eagleclaw flyrods, find a featherlight or ultralite in a 4 or 5 wt.. Yes.. The yellow $25 one.. Im not kidding, i have a feeling you will like it, and you will enjoy casting it-

Are you feeling okay? Are you just a bit delusional today? How can any rod that isn't all carbon or boron or the price of a good used car be fun? How can I pose stylishly with the 6-inch fish I've caught without the finest of custom equipment? I'd be laughed off the stream and out of the forum! Or is that your true motive, here?

I will look for them and if I can find one, I'll grab it. Nothing could be worse than the stick I own, and if an Eagle Claw raises some eyebrows along the bank, then it'll already be much more fun than the Ross.

As always, a practical suggestion. Thanks!

S
Spydeyrch
halibuthitman said:
Ok, your going to think im insane, but go to ebay.. Look up eagleclaw flyrods, find a featherlight or ultralite in a 4 or 5 wt.. Yes.. The yellow $25 one.. Im not kidding, i have a feeling you will like it, and you will enjoy casting it-

I have to agree with Him. I have fished with a 4/5 we Eagle claw feather light, the yellow one. It is a glass rod and has some sweet medium / slowest action on it. In your PM you mentioned a number of rods that were all fast action or even really fast action. And those are great and all. Faster action rods do help to some degree with lone speed and line loops which helps overall in distance. And I used to think that getting a nice zippy fast action rod was were it was at. But then I got a nice 3wt slower action rod and fell in love with the soul that slower action rods have. The feel that they offer and the connection. It was something that I couldn't find in a faster action rod. Plus I personally think that a slower action rod forces the students / caster to focus on proper casting form and technique and doesn't allow them to be sloppier and let the faster action do some casting correction mid cast for them. I kind of feel that a faster action rod allows the caster to be a little lazier with their cast, to a certain degree.

I say find that Eagle claw and get one! They are pretty sweet!

Good luck man

-Spydey

T
Tinker
Spydey - Fast rods are appealng - at the moment - because the Ross is supposed to be slow and soft but isn't. Or at least, not throughout it's length. I shouldn't judge any class by one really bad example, but that one freaked me out and I'm ready to cross the street to the other sidewalk whenever soft-and-slow approaches.

The super-fast custom rod I was allowed to cast gave me goose-bumps. That plays into it too. Five casts and I was certain that I was ready for the next National Casting Competition.

And as for being lazy, I have no problem being seen as lazy, being thought of as lazy, or actually being lazy. It's my third favorite past-time.

But I found an Eagle Claw Featherlight and am waiting for it to arrive. At $20 (plus shipping) I can't go wrong.

I'll just have to work at fishing instead of letting the rod do it for me, and that stinks, guys. It stinks worse than skunk farts. I thought you guys liked me!

Making me work for fish.. or more accurately: making me work for no fish? It's just cruel.

(Thank you both)

S
Spydeyrch
Tinker I hope that in no way you thought that I was calling you lazy because that was not my intention. But if you enjoy it as much as I do than more power to you hahahaha

Yes, faster rods do help line speed and do make it easier to cast to some degree. And I think that one should have both faster rods and slower rods in their arsenal and be proficient at using both. I do enjoy the snappyness of faster rods and how crisp and clean the cast.

And for you coming from what you have described, I would say go for it if that is what you rotund to work for you. I don't cast like you and you don't cast like me. So if fast is where it is at for you have at it. And enjoy it! ^_^

Give that featherweight a try and see if you like it. Don't treat it like a fat rod. It bends down further than faster rods do. Feel it and move with it. Let it speak to you. And it will treat you right. And in the end of you don't like it, send it my way! Hahaha

Good luck man and enjoy the process.

-Spydey

T
Tinker
I don't mind if you call me lazy. I'm a potato wherever I am: on the couch, in the La-Z-Boy, or on the bank. Bank Potato* should have been my OFF user name (and I wish I'd thought of it earlier). I embrace my inertia!

If I can get a rod in my hands that casts with me instead of fighting against me, I don't care how whippy it is, who makes it or what it's made from. As long as it's not neon pink and covered in UV glitter - I have to hold on to some standards.

You did your best to warn me that fuzzy-hook fishing is addictive but I didn't listen. Now I'm running around searching for my next fly fix, my gear-flinging friends pretend they don't know me, and I'm wearing a T-Shirt that reads "Jesus loves you brother! Can you spare an Elk Wing?"

When you're that bad off and the rod ain't working, you get desperate; but you and the hitman have sobered me up, pulled me out of the DT's, and I'm feeling much better, now.

When I've proven that it was the rod and not the idiot holding it, a fine, fast action rod might be something I'll look into. Maybe. And until then, look at all the pennies I've saved and all the new flies I can buy. Lots of flies. Lots and lots. Ya-hoo!

Don't worry that you might have said something that left my Fruit of the Loom's in a bunch. Not many in OFF would call me shy...

* Trademark and copyright - all rights reserved.