Trip to the coast (first time salt water fishing)

F
FishingWill
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and new to salt water fishing. I am planning a trip to Lincoln City and Newport at the end of June, I plan on crabbing off the pier by Rogue Brewery in Newport and I am wanting to get into surf fishing I have an old Penn Squidder 140 rigged with 17lb. line as well as other lighter rigs. I would also be open to fishing from the pier and in the bays around Lincoln City, Newport and Tillamook. I have been looking through the archives of the forum for information but I am wanting some current reports on crabbing in Siletz, Yaquina, Netarts bays from the shore as I do not have a boat. The last time I was at Siletz Bay it was no good so I went to Newport and came home with a few. Any additional locations you think I should try please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can pass along.

M
minnowmagnet
If you can make it up to Tillamook Bay, I would recommend trying Barview Jetty. I have been fishing the south jetty from my kayak lately and doing really well. Believe me, its all about the Berkely Gulp! 4" black shad minnow on a 1/4, 3/8, or 1/4oz jig head if you want to dominate the small black rockfish and a couple of other species that are abundant off the jetties in T-bay. I'm not too proficient on surf fishing, so can't help.

S
SailCat
Surf perch fishing has been improving up and down the coast. A good beach is more important than any particular area. Find a place where waves break close to the beach as this indicates deeper water (or scout at low tide). If it's near a river or bay mouth, so much the better. Fish the last two hours of incoming tide through the turn. Weight (2-3 oz. pyramid) on the bottom, two hooks 18 inches apart up the line. Spinning tackle is preferred for ease of casting and a steelhead or salmon rod will work fine. Sand shrimp is excellent bait but fragile; it'll probably only last one cast. Alternate baits are deli shrimp, mussels, pile worms or squid. Have fun!

F
FishingWill
Thanks for all the info Minnowmagnet and SailCat. I have been able to get over to coast multiple times this past month and for the first time last week finely landed a surf perch at Gleneden Beach SP using mussels. It was a great time and I am hooked on surf fishing looking at making the trek back in the next few week before school starts back up in the fall.

E
eugene1
FishingWill said:
Thanks for all the info Minnowmagnet and SailCat. I have been able to get over to coast multiple times this past month and for the first time last week finely landed a surf perch at Gleneden Beach SP using mussels. It was a great time and I am hooked on surf fishing looking at making the trek back in the next few week before school starts back up in the fall.

Any coastal pics you can share or even better fish pics?

Best,

C
cdumitru78
Perch is fun to catch, once you get into them you should catch them left and right. While last two hours of incoming seems to be what most people target, I've caught fish regardless of tide. It seems like I do better when the water is relatively calm and weed free. I use live shrimp and while they come off the hooks fast, most stores sell this string like elastic wrap that you can wrap around the shrimp, I found that really helpful. Good luck.

C
cdumitru78
For all of you that like perch - get out there and catch some! We were fishing around Cannon Beach over the weekend and it was crazy, a fish per cast most times, really fun times. We started just after low tide and fished into high tide. It got really hot as we got close to high tide, we pretty much limited out and so were others around us. Used live shrimp and those fake Berkley Gulp Saltwater worms, both worked really well. Had several double hooks, so fun times...

O
OrygunSon
Has anyone tried their luck Perch fishing along the Manzanita beach stretch from Neah-Kah-Nie down to the mouth of the Nehalem? Also, what about the jetty at the mouth of Nehalem? Headed down for a week and want to try something different. I know my Grandad used to fish the shoreline at Manzanita near the Mt. but it's been years and he's not around anymore to bang questions off of. Thanks!