Where the heck are we??

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Yesterday,lilsalmon & I headed for a spot in Stayton that Kodiak had told me about a few years ago. I had only been there once and Rose had never been there,so it was sure to be an adventure. I honestly can't tell you exactly where we were or even what stream/river for sure. :think: We thought we were on the Santiam,but the park worker said no. The best I can tell you is that we started out at Pioneer Park and did a lot of walking from there. We found some slow,sluggish,nasty looking water,some mild,slow moving water,some faster moving water with very appealing ripples. Bank access was not readily available so we did quite a bit of scouting and climbing. We settled on a section of faster moving water with minimal access,but lots of cover for the targets of the day. Rose was tossing flies in a very serene spot when I heard her shout/scream...I thought she'd had a way too close encounter with a spider. :shock: Then the fish jumped again! It was not tiny. :naughty: Try as she might,she could not entice what she was sure was a 24"-26" steelhead to take her fly. :( Within three minutes of her sighting,I was stunned to see what I believe was a 20" rainbow swimming in the deep pool where I was tossing my favorite rooster tail. We were both determined to catch a fatty. The laughter and excitement was soon replaced with disappointment and a few unladylike expletives...:wall: :whistle: but,like the elusive fish,we moved on. We found some great spots to check out in the future,oh yes,we will definitely go back,soon. I was surprised when I reeled in what I was sure was another stick fish and it turned out to be a 7" fresh water clam. That thing was clamped onto my rooster tail with a vice like grip and it had to weigh at least 1/2 a pound!! :shock: There were several of these huge things lying in the riverbed. No,I did not keep it. I have no idea if they are edible,but I don't eat them anyway...
All in all it was a great day to be out on the water with a great friend and I can't wait to do it again. Even the part where a certain somebody got a fly hung up on a stick...let's just say her white socks were caked in mud goo and will take a full gallon of bleach to be considered anything close to white again. :lol::lol:

B
bigsteel
sounds like a great time barb,,im glad you 2 had a good day

Troutski
Troutski
Days on the water...

Days on the water...

Great post, nice to see you got out.... Some of my best days of fishing, side splitting laughter...coffee spraying out of someones nose; and never caught a fish. I can still remember it very well, had a great lunch at small local mom and pop place.
Those laughing days on the water will add hours to your life.

Chuck

DSC_5402.jpg

S
Spydeyrch
Glad to hear that you guys ..... err ..... ladies, sorry about that, had a nice day on the water. Those are the best of times!! Hopefully you two can go back (and take me with you , hehehehehe) and catch those fatties. :)

Take care.

-Spydey :D

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
We are definitely going back and you are more than welcome to join us anytime. We left a trail of bread crumbs to find our way back. :lol:

S
Spydeyrch
Well thank you barb! That is very kind of you. I was only joking around but if you are willing to put up with a 29 year old fly fisher, I would enjoy accompanying you and rose some day. Thank you again. :D

Take care.

-Spydey

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Spydeyrch said:
Well thank you barb! That is very kind of you. I was only joking around but if you are willing to put up with a 29 year old fly fisher, I would enjoy accompanying you and rose some day. Thank you again. :D

Take care.

-Spydey

Something you should know about the two of us;we welcome anyone to join us at least once. If there are problems with respect for either of us,the fish or waterway or the person is an arrogant know-it-all,there won't be a second invitation. In fact,I'm fairly sure between the two of us the OFFender will be taking an unscheduled bath.:naughty: :lol: :lol:

S
Spydeyrch
Raincatcher said:
Something you should know about the two of us;we welcome anyone to join us at least once. If there are problems with respect for either of us,the fish or waterway or the person is an arrogant know-it-all,there won't be a second invitation. In fact,I'm fairly sure between the two of us the OFFender will be taking an unscheduled bath.:naughty: :lol: :lol:

Hahahaha. that is fine. I may need a bath after fishing all day!! I tend to get ..... shall we say ...... pungent.... hahahahah :lol: hahahahahaha

I have been fishing with lilsalmon before and I hope that her impression of me was that I am respectful of others, the water, the fish, and that I am not arrogant. At least I try to be respectful and not arrogant. :D

I also go fishing quite a bit with Brandon.

Let me know when you ladies are hitting that water again and I will see if I can join you, time and family permitting. :)

-Spydey

B
bigsteel
Spydeyrch said:
I also go fishing quite a bit with Brandon.

-Spydey

thats the kiss of death:lol::lol::lol::lol:

S
Spydeyrch
bigsteel said:

Hahahahahahaha!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

-Spydey

T
troutstalker
I think maybe you were fishing the stayton power canal from the description you provided off of pioneer park but I'm not a hundred percent.

M
MetalHead
troutstalker said:
I think maybe you were fishing the stayton power canal from the description you provided off of pioneer park but I'm not a hundred percent.

Not trying to be negative but the Stayton Power Canal is off limits as well as the retention of freshwater clams. Dont want to anyone get in trouble.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
We avoided the canal and walked quite a long ways to get to the flowing water. We even made sure to ask the guy working at the park if we were "legal". I'm leaning toward a split off the Santiam. The last time I was there (3-4 years ago) there were several people fishing the canal. As far as the fresh water clams...no worries,I tossed it back as soon as I got it off my hook. It sure was heavy,though. Thanks for the input.

O
OnTheFly
Raincatcher said:
I'm fairly sure between the two of us the OFFender will be taking an unscheduled bath.:naughty: :lol: :lol:
When I fish with Barb I always pack a snorkle.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
OnTheFly said:

Aw,shucks. You're too purdy to be mean to,Jim. :lol: :lol:
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

S
Spydeyrch
OnTheFly said:

Nice. That is sound advice there Jim!! Thanks! :D

I will make sure I go prepared! :) :lol:

-Spydey

T
troutstalker
Lol good to know someone knows the canal boundaries because I'm trying to find them out myself to be safe. Always like to be legal. I may have to do some scouting out there, all the luck I've had has been right under the stayton scio bridge and upriver about a mile but just some small natives to catch and release, unharmed course;)

troutdude
troutdude
bigsteel said:

Do I detect a hint of Brandon's "fish kissing" notoriety here? LOL

Nicely done ladies! Glad you had a fun day together again.

B
BobbiDollPDX
How come all the ladies who fish are so far away? Or maybe it's me who is so far away? I'm gonna be busy for awhile trying to figure that one out.

Anyways, sounds like you two had a blast. One of these days I'm gonna get to meet you Barb, just warning you.

M
MetalHead
troutstalker said:
Lol good to know someone knows the canal boundaries because I'm trying to find them out myself to be safe. Always like to be legal. I may have to do some scouting out there, all the luck I've had has been right under the stayton scio bridge and upriver about a mile but just some small natives to catch and release, unharmed course;)

I just retired this past week, thank God, and I live on the Stayton Power Canal, so
I am acquainted with the canal. It starts at the Lower Bennett Dam and is off limits the whole way. There is a maze of channels to contend with. If you go to FlashEarth you can see it all.