What to do with pike minnows

PK Yi
PK Yi
caught a couple this year in the 18 inch range (woahink & foster reservoir). there is a bounty for them in the columbia. but what about here? they are invasive so do we kill them? release them?

T
TTFishon
I release them.

bass
bass
They are a native species to the PNW and their scientific name: Ptychocheilus oregonensis

Note the Oregon in the name :)

In my opinion, the bounty on them on the Columbia is a bit of a smokescreen to detract attention from the habitat loss created by the dams themselves. Perhaps the dams have created a competitive advantage for them and thinning them there makes some sense, but certainly elsewhere they are just a part of the balance of nature. I always release them.

A
amnis
Release them. There fun for kids, and bass I feel the same way!

Reactions: sapo
T
Throbbit _Shane
I'm in the release crowd.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

S
sapo
amnis said:
Release them. There fun for kids, and bass I feel the same way!

Excellent post amnis, and everyone! Yup, release em

D
DrTheopolis
Salmon and steelhead babies eat smaller pikeminnow babies... where's the debate?

Reactions: Ikijime
Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Unless there is an osprey around i just release them. i agree they are great little fighters for the kids :thumb:

R
rippin fish lips
Release them. Native Species in Oregon

PK Yi
PK Yi
cool. they are fun to catch.

A
amnis
DrTheopolis Key word "smaller" not all you can find plenty of pike minnows!!

M
mustardthetrout
bass said:
They are a native species to the PNW and their scientific name: Ptychocheilus oregonensis

Note the Oregon in the name :)

In my opinion, the bounty on them on the Columbia is a bit of a smokescreen to detract attention from the habitat loss created by the dams themselves. Perhaps the dams have created a competitive advantage for them and thinning them there makes some sense, but certainly elsewhere they are just a part of the balance of nature. I always release them.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

J
JonT
Personally, I like to put an M80 in them, light it and throw it to a cormorant, hoping a sea lion will be close.

But that's just smolt-loving me.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sammy said:
caught a couple this year in the 18 inch range (woahink & foster reservoir). there is a bounty for them in the columbia. but what about here? they are invasive so do we kill them? release them?

thread twist: this is the first I have heard of a pike minnow being caught in a coastal lake...roger

C
cascadeangler
Now I feel like the bad guy. I find them disgusting and I do not release them, native or not. Just doing my part. ;)

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
i just released one friday while bassing the willy. You always know when it's a pike minnow before you even see it at the surface...hard slam on the take like a big fish...ten seconds of fighting...then you reel in a gasping fish that seems half dead. I can't imagine such a weak fish would make a very efficient predator. I think that's why I typically catch only one pike minnow per every dozen bass that i catch on the willy. And the lures i'm trolling with are rainbow-trout colored, smolt-sized rapalas that look a lot like salmon smolt...the bass are so much better at running them down.

I'm guessing the smallmouth in the rivers kill way many more salmon parr and smolt than the pike minnows.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
JonT said:
Personally, I like to put an M80 in them, light it and throw it to a cormorant, hoping a sea lion will be close.

But that's just smolt-loving me.

Wouldn't that violate your "never kill native's rule" or is that not real either?

B
Big3d
Anybody here eat 'em. Curiousity makes me ask.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I bonk 'em.

T
TTFishon
Big3d said:
Anybody here eat 'em. Curiousity makes me ask.

Once and only once. Wasn't bad, just bony.