What to do with pike minnows

B
bubs
powerbait stirfry?

I
Iki Jime
montym said:
as long as we are talking about eating funny stuff, can anyone guess what this is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

LOL, Monty! You've definitely piqued my curiosity... but a part of me is a little bit afraid to ask...

M
montym
True, it tasted ok but even my wife refused to try it.....

T
twout
Appears to be rodent kidneys.

M
montym
twout said:
Appears to be rodent kidneys.

Yuck! too much for me too my friend.

That in the picture is milt, cut up and fried with some Indian spices; tastes OK. Will take the flavor of whatever you cook it with, so sky it the limit or what?
Fish eggs are considered a delicacy in many cultures, and that kind of got me thinking. Apparently cod milt is a delicacy in Japan; I reckon the other countries are just waiting for someone like me.

B
BaldTexan
Bleh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
bubs
Yeah monty I'm not sure I'd try that unless it was somehow magically guaranteed to end my current o-fer streak on salmon fishing...

I'd also heard that milt was a culinary delicacy elsewhere though so kudos for being brave and experimenting.

B
BaldTexan
One mans delicacy is another mans compost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
I think there's a name for people who eat "milt," but this being a family forum, I'll let it be.

I
Iki Jime
montym said:
Yuck! too much for me too my friend.

That in the picture is milt, cut up and fried with some Indian spices; tastes OK. Will take the flavor of whatever you cook it with, so sky it the limit or what?
Fish eggs are considered a delicacy in many cultures, and that kind of got me thinking. Apparently cod milt is a delicacy in Japan; I reckon the other countries are just waiting for someone like me.

Really? I actually tried the milt from the last Coho that I reeled in this fall. Since I've been trying to utilize as much of the fish as I can, I looked online and decided to try the liver. My girlfriend knew about the milt part (shirako in Japanese) and decided to try it. I don't know the Japanese way of preparing it, but I think I just fried it. The flavor was just okay, but the texture was what it was known for. I'd still have to experiment with flavorings and spices, I think, before I could say that I straight up enjoyed it :)

James

Last edited:
M
montym
I'll share a few things via pm James, if we continue here dear Dr T will probably tell us what he thinks of us, family forum or not.

Reactions: troutmasta
D
DrTheopolis
Hey, I appreciate that you try to utilize the entire animal you harvested. Mad respect here.

If you shoot a deer, do you eat the large intestine? Just asking.

As an aside -- very recently, an idea came up about using the milt for crab bait. Anyone ever try that?

I
Iki Jime
montym said:
I'll share a few things via pm James, if we continue here dear Dr T will probably tell us what he thinks of us, family forum or not.

LOL, alright. We can compare recipes and fish parts via pm. I don't mind Dr T making fun of me, though. It's all about social norms that we're taught.

Dr T, if I knew of a practical way to functionalize deer intestine, I'd definitely give it consideration, probably even try it. I'm pretty adventurous if there aren't serious consequences involved.

Using fish parts as bait is also practical usage, as far as I'm concerned. Anything I can't eat of the fish ends up feeding vegetables in my garden. Coffee grounds and filters go into the garden, hair clippings, mice that I find in the mouse traps, ect. I don't even pay for organic fertilizer. Every shovelful of soil is just loaded with worms.

If it doesn't end up in the landfill, I consider any usage legit :)

M
montym
DrTheopolis said:
If you shoot a deer, do you eat the large intestine? Just asking.

I do not hunt, but if I do not see any reason why it cannot be eaten. Tripe I reckon is eaten by a lot of people. The most famous tripe dish could be haggis, I did eat that while traveling in Scotland and liked it actually.

May be you've eaten a sausage or two with natural casing, Dr T?

Cheers
M

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fairly sure that I have seen Andrew Zimmerman eat and enjoy several dishes that were basically pig intestines...

T
troutmasta
Dang Doc T. I think they just told you!

I love sausage and hot dogs, and dude ate milt and loved it!

Me-couldnt eat a salmon fillet none the less the guts or what not. To each their own though-

I
Iki Jime
rogerdodger said:
fairly sure that I have seen Andrew Zimmerman eat and enjoy several dishes that were basically pig intestines...

LOL. I wonder how many of us would give up hotdogs if we knew what all went into them.

Monty- I love menudo! That soup has tripe in it.

Troutmasta, I actually was a little bit weirded out by the milt before I tried it :D I did have to psyche myself out after knowing what it was.

I've seen a photo of a female friend of mine on Facebook actually eat a deep fried tarantula while overseas!!! Pretty gal, too. I can't remember what country she was in, but I couldn't even fathom getting that remotely close to my face.

James

Last edited:
S
Snagglehook
Montym, you should have garnished it with some salmon roe and called it a hatchery stir-fry!

M
montym
Snagglehook said:
Montym, you should have garnished it with some salmon roe and called it a hatchery stir-fry!

As if I have not eaten salmon roe....Google Ikura for the recipe :)

Cheers
M

I
Iki Jime
montym said:
As if I have not eaten salmon roe....Google Ikura for the recipe :)

Cheers
M

Damned, Facebook! I wanted to just "like" this post without contributing more to it.

James