What fly gear would you recommend?

M
Markcanby
Just a FYI if you are fishing for trout the reel is just to hold you line so you can buy a beautiful machined aluminum work of art or a round piece of plastic an it will fish the same. You can try to hook up with Grigg here in Canby an get a 5wt setup MSRP $120 for around $60. If I was going out tomorrow I would get a Grigg rod for 40$ a Kamikaze reel from Aus. 40$ an some Rio Gold 60$.

S
Spydeyrch
Markcanby said:
Just a FYI if you are fishing for trout the reel is just to hold you line so you can buy a beautiful machined aluminum work of art or a round piece of plastic an it will fish the same. You can try to hook up with Grigg here in Canby an get a 5wt setup MSRP $120 for around $60. If I was going out tomorrow I would get a Grigg rod for 40$ a Kamikaze reel from Aus. 40$ an some Rio Gold 60$.

That is a great idea and thanks for the tip. I am heading out tomorrow and Saturday with some boy scouts. I would LOVE to get the rod for this weekend but probably don't have time to do so. I will have to see what I can do. Thanks again for the tip! :clap:

-Spydey :D

O
Oregon Knights
Spydeyrch, I don't think you'll will regret buying a TFO setup. Several others here noted the quality of St. Croix, which I'd agree with as well. Reddington makes a fine affordable rod/reel combination, especially in the heavier weights, 6 and up. The other brand I didn't see mentioned, is Echo. Relatively new on the market, but definitely worth your inspection. I have a 3wt and 6wt by Echo and absolutely love them. I also have a Reddington and St. Croix. I'm not one to pay big money for fly rods. I will spend more on a reel, especially for steelhead, due to the need for better drag systems.

I'm a firm believer in finding a quality fly shop or two. Ask around because they do exist. I wouldn't buy without the opportunity to test the rod. Most fly shops offer this and if not, I won't buy there. You can even try a 5 wt with a 6 wt line, to see how it casts, compared to a 5 wt line. This can make a world of difference, especially tossing heavy nymphs, or casting on windy days. If you are so new you are not adept at casting yet, I'd ask a trusted fly fishing friend to go looking and testing with me.

Someone here recommended a 9' 6wt. Not a bad idea in my opinion. This can be a good all-around size and weight, without wearing your arm out. Works well with nymphs, casts dries with some finess and can cast into a moderately stiff wind. (With practice)

Regardless of your final choice, enjoy the hunting experience and a whole new experience in fishing. I've been fly fishing for about 50 years and truly enjoy every adventure.

Dale

G
Growbug
Spydey..

Are you going BoySprouting up Silverton way??

If so, I could meet you and bring a 4wt., a 5wt and a 5/6 and a 7. I have reels with cartridges set up for double taper, weight forward and sink tip.
Simplest way if for you to try out a few rods, in different weights and manufacturers and see what YOU like the feel of.

You DONT have to pay more than $200 for a NICE fly rod.
You can get away with paying $20 - $50 for a cheap starter rod.
Reels are for holding line.
Sportsmans Warehouse/whatever it is now has a combo set in stock. 5wt Cortland, Sth size 1.5 Cassette reel, 444 line (WF or DT) for around $80-$100. This is what I started with. I STILL love the setup for trout!

-----
Oh and if you can wait until Feb 2011 to buy stuff, the St Croix rep will have show models and last years stock with him at BIG discounts.

G
Growbug
Reels

Reels

Except for the fact that for most trout fishing your reel will hold all that extra line.... buy a reel that takes CASSETTES or CARTRIDGES.
My first reel was/is a Sth 1.5 that came with the Cortland package. I now have 4 cartridges for it.
1-DT-5-F
2-WF-5-F
3-WF-5-ST
4-DT-6-F
I use them all of the same rod, but in different conditions. Believe me.. they are all different beasts, and act so.

S
Spydeyrch
Growbug said:
Spydey..

Are you going BoySprouting up Silverton way??

If so, I could meet you and bring a 4wt., a 5wt and a 5/6 and a 7. I have reels with cartridges set up for double taper, weight forward and sink tip.
Simplest way if for you to try out a few rods, in different weights and manufacturers and see what YOU like the feel of.

Hey there Growbug. Thanks for the invitation to practise with your rods. I am sorry I didn't get back to you in time. I actually didn't get it until after the campout and have been consumed with work and a week vacation in calafornia. Sorry about the delay in responding ..... sometimes life comes first.

Oh, and just so you know, I STILL (with a sigh and rolling of eyes) ......... haven't gotten a rod and reel yet. And it is my fault. I just need to buckle down and get one and learn to use it. I am pretty set on a TFO.

Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions. :)

-Spydey

V
Van
Whatever you do, avoid a Martin starter combo set. Garbage. I have been very happy with my Reddington. It is a 6wt and was on sale for $90 at Dicks over the summer. I too am a big proponent of supporting the local shop so that is where i would go in your shoes. Build up a relationship with them and it will lead to more fly fishing success, imo.

G
ghostcow
I mail ordered a TFO 3 wt, a reel and line from them and I love the rod, nice and light and big enough for small trout higher up in river systems. The Fly Shop initially had trouble with my order but they did fix the situation and get me the rod in a reasonable time frame. I might order from them, I've also had good luck with deschutesangler with some purchases, and while I"m at it I've been getting flys from Big Y Fly Co and I've been happy with them plus they are on sale now so....and no I don't work for any of these folks.
The TFO is Korean made and seems like it is well made, I hope to get a Sage or Winston once I know what i"m doing a little better. I have a reddington 5 wt and is Heavy but is great for learning and chucking heavy stuff. Best of luck in your search!

E
eggs
Both sage and winston(and orvis) blanks are korean made exept the top of the line ones...

Ask bigsteel and onthefly about my korean brand 3wt rod and reel.... finish is great and a fun rod..

H
halibuthitman
eggs said:
Both sage and winston(and orvis) blanks are korean made exept the top of the line ones...

Ask bigsteel and onthefly about my korean brand 3wt rod and reel.... finish is great and a fun rod..

The Blanks coming out of the east are some of the best blanks out there, I personaly have no problems with them, half the rods out there are on asian blanks, so unless your gonna dump the fun tickets on a Thomas&Thomas ... or your gonna end up with a $200 rod that was assembled in the u.s.a... don't sweat the rumors, my hardy zane is an asian blank... and undeniably the second best rod Ive ever cast... and I have cast a couple rods in my day... like over ten..

G
GDBrown
When all is said and done, it is more important to have a good line that is matched to the rod and the type of fishing you will be doing. Cheap rods with great lines work just fine and much better than unmatched but expensive gear. My boss raised his boys in Bend, OR and they fished the big D all the time. Often coming home with broken rods! They would tell their dad, "The cheap rods work just fine, it's the line that makes the difference."

Just a thought,

GD

S
Spydeyrch
Nice thought there GD, thanks for the input. I will have to take that into account. Hopefully Santa has seen that I have been a good boy this year and will bring me something nice like oh ...... I don't know ...... maybe something like ...... a 9' 5w TFO ....... just a thought...... :) hehe lol

-Spydey

B
bigsteel
a nine foot tfo would be fine.you dont need some 3000 dollar thomas and thomas or 800 dollar sage..remember its the operator of the rod that catches fish..

F
freeflyin
Fly shops

Fly shops

Spydeyrch said:
So I have been wanting to get into fly fishing for sometime now. But it seems that whenever I am going to purchase the gear (rod, reel, & line), something always happens. :rolleyes: My kids have to go to the doctors, my wife wants to go on vacation, the van needs a tune up, etc. So I have been trying to get some fly gear for like 9 months now!! :confused:

But the good thing is that all this time has allowed me to give some good thought to what I really want and to read a lot of you guys' posts, etc. Which has been extremely helpful!!! :clap::clap:

I was going to buy my gear from a small town, small store up in Welches. It is on the way up to Mt. Hood from Sandy. Right next to Zig Zag. Here is their website:

The Fly Shop

Anywho, I stopped by one day on my way back down from Trillium and asked about a basic beginner's setup: rod, reel, & line. (I have plenty of flies.) The sales rep said that a basic setup would run from $170 - $230 and includes rod, reel, & line. The rod had a lifetime guarantee. He said no matter what happens to it (broken in the car, fish breaks it, kids break it, etc etc,) it was fixable. Just had to pay for shipping & handling. I don't remember the exact brand and model of the rod or reel. But it was either a two or three piece 9' 5/6 weight rod. The reel looked like it had a pretty decent drag system. I really liked the setup and the price that it was offered for.

I have also seen a number of rods and even some rod & reel combos in the local stores (Bi-mart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authorities, etc) for some pretty cheap prices: $30 - $115. But they don't have lifetime guarantees So I am tempted to just get something cheap for now while I learn the basic ins & outs of fly fishing. But at the same time, I am worried that if I go with the cheap stuff to just get me by, that I really will be handicapping myself during my initial learning experience. Yet at the same time, due to my lack of experience and lack of knowledge, would a $230 setup be used to it's full extent or would it be over-board and a waste of time/money?

My hobbies are: computer maintenance/construction, rock climbing, alpine climbing, hiking, camping, mountain biking, horse back riding, and more. For all those activities, the better the gear, the better the experience and I know, based upon my years of experience, what gear is the best and the best prices for them.

But when it comes to fly fishing gear, I am like a little kid again!! :( :( And I don't know what to do.

Do you see my dilemma?:think:

I am the kind of person that likes to be sure of the decisions I make. I generally don't like to make on-the-fly (get it, hehehehe) :lol::lol: decisions when it comes to the gear I use for my hobbies. ;)

So I come to you all, the experienced group of fishers, with the hope that you'll be able to help me. :pray::pray:

So what would you all recommend? Any brands, models, price ranges? Would a $50 or $60 rod with a $20 reel be just fine for the first little while or would you recommend something else?

I think that the most I would be willing to spend is around $250, and that would have to include everything: rod, reel, line, and if possible a carrying tube. :D

Thanks in advance for you help, opinions, advice, and recommendations.

And sorry about the long post.

-Spydey

P.S. It could be that I am just over analyzing the situation.:rolleyes: I tend to do that sometimes and bothers the heck out of my wife, hahahaha :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey man,
If you go to the right fly shop and explain your situation you can get into something that fits your price range and skill level. I got a basic TFO set-up from Sportsman and spent about $170 or so. It treated me right for awhile, but I really took to fly fishing and wish I would have spent about $50 more for a better package. The rod DOES make a big difference when you start learning how to cast pretty well. I personally have 6 or 7 fly rods now after two years of fishing and have got some used from a friend and some I bought for super cheap....I only have one that's not from a fly shop. Remember, most fly shops are owner operated.....that means they will generally negotiate a bit with you. I go to the Albany fly shop and that guy has always treated me right and also got me into a ton of fish. Not everyone is like him but if you develop a relationship with the seller you may have better luck getting the deal that your after. Good luck.

D
duanedoran
freeflyin said:
most fly shops are owner operated.....that means they will generally negotiate a bit with you.

Most manufacturers in the fly fishing industry prohibit ANY form of discounting so if this is happening the dealer is putting their resellers agreements in jeopardy. A few years back a local fly shop was going to offer a 'Preferred Customer Card' which would reward customers at years end by giving back a certain percentage of what they had spent during the year. Another shop caught wind of it and notified some of the manufacturers. The shop was immediately told they would be in violation of the resellers agreements and canceled the plans. This should tell you how serious manufacturers feel about it. And this is not a select few, rather an industry-wide policy. The exception is when a product has become discontinued.

Last edited: