What are your fav waders

G
Goyanks819
I am gonna be doing some fishing in march around bend and I need a good pair of waders for me and the wife that are easily packable, would stockingfoot and wader boots be ok? Lightweight or neoprene?

J
JeannaJigs
I roll with stockingfoot breathables. They are sufficient year round. Can layer up under them in the winter and you don't boil alive in them in the summer months. I'm a fan of hodgman, They've been pretty dependable. Korker boots. Don't skimp on boots, good boots with good traction and ankle support save lives

F
FlyBum
Simms. Nuff said.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Been a Hodgeman fan for a long time. I've had a pair of their light weight breathables for a year now - and aside from me being a tard and forgetting to air them out once (and thus mildewing) - I've had no problems with them. They're way more comfortable to wear all day than my old 3mm neoprenes. I'm not as soaked with sweat at the end of the day, and the breathables, I believe, offer you more options for controlling your body temp. If you want to stay warmer - wear layers of polypro underwear and fleece in cold weather/water, or go with light weight cotton pants (or shorts, or whatever) for warm weather.

That said - I have eyed up a few others:

Cabela's Dry Plus Wading Pants - a waist-high wader for fishing shallower water. These would keep you cooler in general and probably be the most comfortable to fish in all day. You just shouldn't wade deeper than thigh-deep in them.

Frog Toggs Wading Pants similar to the cabela's version

And then there's these: Cabela's Guide Tech Waders - only because they've got the built in chest pack, and they look like they're a step up in ruggedness from my current hodgies. Not sure on these yet.

18406ej
18406ej
definitely breathables with wading boots. I started out (unhappily) with neoprenes and when they finally failed I tried breathables and it was a world of positive change! Check out bargain basement sites at Cabelas, Coleman and etc. They often have good brands at rock-bottom prices.

M
mezzfin
I just started using Orvis's new Sonicseam Pack & Travel waders (neoprene feet) after a lengthy discussion and research period. These are made out of nylon instead of polyester which means they can be "welded" (really, melted) together at the seams instead of sewn & taped. Just as light as my last breathables and plenty durable so far. In talking with a guide who usually goes through 2-3 sets of "pro" priced waders in a year, he raved about how he spent an entire year in these. And as mentioned earlier, don't skimp on boot quality!

B
bigsteel
I use the orvis endura waders,,,best pair i have ever owned

M
markasd
Patagonia.

A
Airs98
Lightweight Dan Bailey's.

N
n8r1
I can't tell you my favorite waders, but I will tell you a brand to avoid at all costs: The Field and Stream Waders from Dicks.

I'm currently on my 3rd pair, and all three pairs have sprung a leak in the exact same spot: right on my crotch. It literally looks like I pissed my pants if I wade in past my hips.

The first pair lasted me 4 months before I noticed the leak. Luckily Dicks was great about exchanging them, and since they were out of the ones that I owned, they let me upgrade to the next pair for no charge.

The 2nd pair started leaking the first time I used them. I promptly returned them, and since they had the highest-end ones on sale, I was able to upgrade again for only $10.

This 3rd pair I thought were going to be the ones. I used them all summer with no problems. However, last weekend as I waded deep into some slow water, I felt that familiar feeling. Yep, they started leaking again, right on the crotch.

I guess the nice thing is that Dicks has a great return/exchange policy. The bad thing is that their selection of waders isn't that great. I hope that they are getting some more in soon, because last time I went there they were pretty thin on brands and sizes.

M
mosd
simms g4 guide waders

R
rippin fish lips
18406ej said:
definitely breathables with wading boots. I started out (unhappily) with neoprenes and when they finally failed I tried breathables and it was a world of positive change! Check out bargain basement sites at Cabelas, Coleman and etc. They often have good brands at rock-bottom prices.

Looks like we started the same way! I have been rockin neoprines for 3 years now. Yes they are hot in the summer but did the job. Now they are failin hardcore on me and its time to get some breathables.
I am leanin towards breathables as bein my fav waders, if i can?? haha

V
Van
I really like my Redingtons

W
waco
Waders

Waders

I just got a new pair of breathables Hodgman and I love them!! My first pair I owned I went cheap and I pay an expensive price: getting wet on m!y crotch and foot after 4 months of fishing

H
halibuthitman
waders are like motors, how you use them and treat them tends to have an effect on how long they last. Cabelas sells the highest qaulity waders for the least amount of money, simms, patagonia, Dan Baileys, all the same, Filson waders are the toughest waders I have ever owned, but the pocket is too baggy for rowing driftboats ( oars tend to hang up in it ) and they are too baggy for walking and brush busting, simms and patagonia waders are narrow legged, better for cross country hikeing, for winter sitting in drift boats or float tubes neoprene can't be beat. Anything by Redington that cost less than $200 bucks is garbage, ALL william and Joshep gear is garbage, most of the Caddis stuff for under $200 is garbage, I was given a pair of the $225 Caddis guide waders that zip up the front, and they seem pretty tough and sweet but im kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop on them, The Flyshop in Redding Sells their store brand waders for $150, these waders are about the best waders for under $400 I have ever used you can find their catalog online theflyshop.com - Have a good trip- Brad

R
RunWithSasquatch
Hey Brad, good write up. Thanks. I have been eying a set of the Filson waders, and you gave me something to keep in mind.

H
halibuthitman
RunWithSasquatch said:
Hey Brad, good write up. Thanks. I have been eying a set of the Filson waders, and you gave me something to keep in mind.

I HIGHLY reccomend the wading jacket or vest though-

R
RunWithSasquatch
I own there canvas wading jacket. Wouldnt mind there newer non-canvas version for the real oregon rain.

H
halibuthitman
yeah, I can get you some sail canvas wax that will make that thing never leak again.. never

R
RunWithSasquatch
halibuthitman said:
yeah, I can get you some sail canvas wax that will make that thing never leak again.. never

Check your PM at your leisure.