Went out and bought my steelhead set up opinions?

Z
zarboth
if you saw my other thread you will already know I have never fished for any game fish. I went out and bought a okuma ce-5-962Mla, it says its 9 foot 6 inches and below that it says 6-12 LBS 1/4-1/2oz I dont know what that means XD. The reel it came with is a ignite iT-40a, 5.0.1 gear ratio. The whole set up cost 90 dollars. I bought white stren line 30lb test, so did I do a okay job?

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
Yeah, you did OK for steelhead.

The MLa on the Okuma stands for medium-light action and correlates to the 6-12 lbs 1/4-1/2 oz., which means it's rated for 6-12 lb. line test and casting 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz weights.

The 40 on the Okuma reel indicates the spool size and how much line capacity it holds; the 40 correlates to 4000 size in Shimano reels. Some people might say that 40/4000 is a bit much for steelhead and that smaller 20 or 30/2000 or 3000 are better because they weigh less, but I think those people just need to workout more if their arm is fatigued from just a couple ounces ;) I use the 40/4000 for my steelheading and don't find issue with it.

Your rod length/action selection is a decent place to start with any of the techniques: hardware/float/drift. I will say that at one time, I was using a medium-light, 9'-6" rod for hardware, but some people here steered me toward using a similar rod, but shorter (8'-6") when my hookups were brief, with the fish coming quickly unbuttoned...they were right. When I made the switch, I started landing more when throwing hardware. If I were you, go ahead and start with what you have and see how it goes because I think you made a good choice to start with.

As you go, you will find certain rods are better suited for different angling techniques; I have a 10' for float, 8'-6" for hardware, 9' for drift, etc.

That 30 lb. Stren, which I'm going to guess is monofilament, is too heavy/stiff for the rod you have and I would switch that out...you can use 20-30 lb. on that rod if it's braid because it's a much smaller diameter and will not adversely affect casting, whereas I think the heavy mono might...or move down to 12 lb mono.

Also make sure to use a lighter leader than the main line, depending on conditions such as water clarity, water height, water temp, etc.

Overall, a good start...now grab some different main line and get out there! Good luck!

Last edited:
B
bran_man
The rod you have would be best suited for float fishing for it's length and action. The reel is just ok.I have tried some ignite reels and personally do not like them, but have some river associates (lol) that also use them and like them a lot...so that one I'll leave to you. And the line is way overkill.for steelhead, I usually use a 10lb mono for my mainline and either 10 or 8 for leader.might switch that up to 12lb main an d 10lb leader for high water winter fishing. 10 pound mono can handle a lot of weight! I have landed 25 pound chinook on it, just play your fish properly and don't just force them in. It can actually be bad and damaging to your rod if you use line heavier than is suggested on your rod so try and avoid that.

Reactions: waco
troutdude
troutdude
Everything above, is spot on.

A "monster" summer fish, will top out at about 12 pounds in most streams. So, you def do not need 30 lb. mono line. A 12-lb. fish can be reeled in with much lighter line.

In fact, when summer flows are down--in July, August, etc.--many skilled steelhead hunters; will drop down to 8 or even 6 lb. mono. Anything larger/heavier, spooks the fish.

Good luck with your new stick. You'll do fine with it, if you match it with the proper line weight.

P.S. Well stated above, ChezJFrey.

V
viper0463
For $90 you did good in my opinion. The 30# line is to much and you would be better off switching that out for 10 or 12#, I personally use 10# power pro slick 8 and a florocarbon leader from 6#-12# depends on what I'm doing. I gave that same rod to my friend as a gift and he's had no problems with it, he likes it for smallmouth also.

T
Tinker
I can't keep 20# Stren on my 40/4000 sized reels, much less 30#. It leaps off like a kid's slinky whenever there's not enough tension on the line, and tangles around the bottom of the reel/rotor. With monofilament, 12# seems to be about the heaviest line that manages well on a 40/4000-sized reel - depending on the brand, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion...

I like 20# braid, and like either the Power Pro Super 8 Slick or Berkely Fireline (smoke color). They're about the same diameter as 8# monofilament and they are softer - less stiff. Regular Power Pro is absolutely fine, and costs less. There are other good braided lines available, but I haven't experimented with any of them.

I like original Stren and have used it for decades. Not a thing wrong with it, in my opinion, except that 30# can give you a headache on your reel.

You got a heck of a lot for under $100, though. Happy fishing!