We need a trout pond in McMinnville!

H
hand_on_rod
Is anyone with me on this?
Both Sheridan and Willamina have one, but who wants to fish at a prison, or in Willamina!?! We have skate parks and a dog park, now we really need a trout pond!
I wonder who we would need to talk to in order to seriously get something like that going.
It would be wonderful for the community.

B
beaverfan
You could try the city council, that's probably where you should start.

C
chris61182
beaverfan said:
You could try the city council, that's probably where you should start.

I know it's not inside of McMinnville and I'm not sure what it would take but it could be suggested they turn McGuire reservoir into something like Hagg. That way they can stand to profit from it, and we all know that money talks :).

A
Anyfishisfine
If they had that pond in Sheridan when I grew up there as a kid I would have found myself getting in a lot less trouble all the time :)

I wonder if Evergreen owns some land they could provide to the community out by the airport.

Y
yakker2
any nonworking gravel pits in mac?

H
halibuthitman
you could ask odfw for any extra money they have left over from the license increases this year to pay for it... then raise the price of a license again in 3 years to keep paying for it.... or you could get a private benifactor to gift the town 30 acres, and then hold a garage/bake sale to pay for the $15,000 in city and county permits, then mabe the cub scouts could raise the $20,000 to hire an enviromental protection agency approved contractor to do test and run risk assessment scenarios.... then $165,000 for a lawyer to figh the two people in town who don't want it... this is typical American mindset... odfw is broke, the nations in a recession, nobody wants to pay another dime in taxes, everyone thinks the state is ripping them off.... and building a trout pond sounds like a good idea.. or mabe you could just front the $20 bucks in gas to drive to some fish.... instead of expecting the state or county to drive some fish to you...

F
fourgotten
*handing you a shovel* Get to diggin', my friend.

Or maybe go fill in the drains in the skate park with concrete... a few good rains and you'll have the pond part of the equation...

:lol:

B
Bullitt
Anyfishisfine said:
If they had that pond in Sheridan when I grew up there as a kid I would have found myself getting in a lot less trouble all the time :)

I wonder if Evergreen owns some land they could provide to the community out by the airport.

Evergreen already is with the Museum and now the Water Park. There is a big educational component to these facilities and the High School Areonautics/Engineering program is pretty impressive.

yakker2 said:
any nonworking gravel pits in mac?

CC Miesel has some ponds just south of Dayton at Weston Landing. You can access the river as well. Last I knew one could get a free "Permit" from them that gives you permission to tresspass. There is pretty good panfishing to be had in these ponds.

The Yamhill is accessible from Kiwanis/Joe Dancer Park and there is the Yamhill Locks Park just east of Lafayette.

B
Bullitt
chris61182 said:
I know it's not inside of McMinnville and I'm not sure what it would take but it could be suggested they turn McGuire reservoir into something like Hagg. That way they can stand to profit from it, and we all know that money talks :).

McGuire is the City's drinking water source. Access to that will likely never happen.

F
fishtales
I was about to ask about Mcguire too but could not remmeber the name. Mcguire is the one along the road to the Nestuca right? It would be nice if they would turn it in to the same kind of deal as Hagg Lake and open it up to fishing and what not.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Bullitt said:
McGuire is the City's drinking water source. Access to that will likely never happen.

we are deffentily gonna have to hit the waters soon. I am so lost to where these places are except a few like my GF's cousin took me to willimina, sheridon, some pond behind a walmart in salem, and some mud pit place by dayton I think. lol

B
Bullitt
There are some ponds at Mission Park which is on the east side of the Willamette at Wheatland. You can park on the Yamhill county side and ride the Ferry over for free. Just north of Wheatland Road on Wallace, across from the Menonite School is a day use/greenway area that can be good for steelhead and springers from the bank. Grand Island has some access to the slough as well.

I hear there are some nice fish in the pond at Michelbook Golf Course although I'm not sure they would let us lowly fisherman on the greens. :rolleyes:

C
chris61182
Bullitt said:

I realize it's unlikely to happen, but plenty of other cities and counties have no qualms about allowing recreation in the drinking water source. Heck that's what Hagg lake more or less is.

C
chris61182
Bullitt said:
I hear there are some nice fish in the pond at Michelbook Golf Course although I'm not sure they would let us lowly fisherman on the greens. :rolleyes:

That's what night fishing is for :)