Waterfowlers

M
Mike123
Pheasant and Grouse on the other hand... Mmmmmmmm...mmmm...mmm.

S
Swamp Puppy
Mike123 said:
Pheasant and Grouse on the other hand... Mmmmmmmm...mmmm...mmm.

i always have trouble getting them to decoy though. how big of a spread should i use? i always like to set them out on the upwind end of the field so the wind is at my back, but maybe i should try a corner? possibly a "C" formation on the side of the field? i have even tried to mix in some confidence decoys with doves, sparrows, and a crow or two, but nothing works.

how about calling? effective or no?

:) :)

M
Mike123
Swamp Puppy said:
i always have trouble getting them to decoy though. how big of a spread should i use? i always like to set them out on the upwind end of the field so the wind is at my back, but maybe i should try a corner? possibly a "C" formation on the side of the field? i have even tried to mix in some confidence decoys with doves, sparrows, and a crow or two, but nothing works.

how about calling? effective or no?

:) :)

Hahaha.... You can call in pheasant.. I've done it. Kinda like a slate turkey call. They just kinda come walking toward you. But yea waterfowl are pretty fun to hunt.

S
Swamp Puppy
actually we used to use a quail call very effectively down in arizona. we would find a large covey of gambels or california quail (a large covey was 100 to 200 birds) and scatter the heck out of them. quail would be spread out all over the dang place. we had these little reed calls made by loman's i think...anyway, the quail call to each other to covey up again and they would think you were another quail calling. just hide behind a cactus or mesquite tree/bush and call a few times...and pretty soon 4 or 5 would come haulin' butt right at ya. if you didn't get any action just move down the wash 50-100 yards and do it again.

T
the_intimidator03
well as of lately things havent gone the way id like so i can't A. get a gun B. go shoot the gun that i do not have LOL

S
strawberry shortcake
I love smothered bird (my grandpa made a killer skillet of smothered pheasant), and smoked water bird. Haven't shot any myself but I used to clean the birds my brother brought home. I don't have a shotgun - yet - but just ordered a Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Can't wait to get that beautiful gun cradled to my cheek. I am hoping to bag my first game (no more than a 3-point buck to get that tender meat) with it sometime next season. I used my LOP tags this year in exchange for fencing. With 888 acres, that's a lot of fencing to take care of.

M
Mike123
Swamp Puppy said:
actually we used to use a quail call very effectively down in arizona. we would find a large covey of gambels or california quail (a large covey was 100 to 200 birds) and scatter the heck out of them. quail would be spread out all over the dang place. we had these little reed calls made by loman's i think...anyway, the quail call to each other to covey up again and they would think you were another quail calling. just hide behind a cactus or mesquite tree/bush and call a few times...and pretty soon 4 or 5 would come haulin' butt right at ya. if you didn't get any action just move down the wash 50-100 yards and do it again.

Haha that's awesome! We used to do the same thing, just a lot less quail. My buddy is half animal. He can call all kinds of game birds and elk with just his mouth. I don't know how he does it.

S
strawberry shortcake
Oh my gosh that reminds me of a funny story! My ex and I were up in the mountains when we heard what we thought was an elk call. So we stopped along the logging road we were on to see where it might be coming from. We were on a road above a canyon and it seemed to be coming from the other side of the canyon so we started looking through our binocs. Kept looking but couldn't see anything. Then all of a sudden, the elk started calling out the Star Spangled Banner! Turned out it was a hunter on the other side of the canyon on an outcropping practicing his calls! We eventually located him and laughed ourselves silly!

M
Mike123
strawberry shortcake said:
oh my gosh that reminds me of a funny story! My ex and i were up in the mountains when we heard what we thought was an elk call. So we stopped along the logging road we were on to see where it might be coming from. We were on a road above a canyon and it seemed to be coming from the other side of the canyon so we started looking through our binocs. Kept looking but couldn't see anything. Then all of a sudden, the elk started calling out the star spangled banner! Turned out it was a hunter on the other side of the canyon on an outcropping practicing his calls! We eventually located him and laughed ourselves silly!

lol!!

S
strawberry shortcake
Just got the call! My new gun is in and ready for me to adopt! Be right back with my new baby!

Very cool gun. The action is a bit rough (needs a bit of oil) and the stock a might too long, but overall this is a great gal's gun. Very well balanced. Love it. My boyfriend should be able to shorten the stock so I can work the lever without taking the gun off sight.

Last edited: