WARNING: Newbie in the St. Helens Area

N
Nick733
Hi everyone,
I just got out of the navy and moved to Columbia County from Upstate NY. Just wanted to let everyone know a small stream fishing, trout hunting snob of a fly tyer who grew up around Mt. Rainier with purple and gold blood will be pissing off all the old timers in the Saint Helens/Rainer area as I try my hand at this plunking thing I have been reading about this fall ;) Any "unwritten rules" I should know about?

Respectfully,
Nick in St. Helens

H
halibuthitman
yes... rule no. 1, never admit your from st. Helens... rule no.2 if you get found out lie and call it Warren- welcome aboard.. Im about 5 miles from you- Brad

Reactions: Nick733
F
FlyBum
Newbie, jeez. The crotchety old timers (OTF) will have a fit over this so called "Plunking". Are you talking about nymphing, what is this plunking you speak of?? Just post some dam pix of your flies and your small streams and you'll fit right in. St. Helens is a wonderful community full of outstanding citizens. :lol:

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Hummmm Purple and Gold, if they were any other color group; oh gosh... I am speechless, Purple and Gold..... hummmmmm I don't know. Barb, can I use your Big Stick.... Purple and gold.... sorry I just can't get use to it....
Hell with the fishing, lets see if we can change the color group... Purple and Gold.... Hummmmmm
Try casting up stream from some one casting a fly down stream from your position, that will make some good friends very quickly..
Welcome to OFF...;)

Chuck

T
Toyracer38
First OFF, thank you for your service! That plunking setup would work (might want to make the weight dropper a little longer), notice the color of that kwikfish.... GREEN is great! lol I take it you will be fishing from a boat? Also look into a spin n glo setup using prawn or coon stripe shrimp as bait.

N
Nick733
Actually I will be going from the bank. But I discovered a potential road block. The reg's say to get any hunting/fishing license you have to be an oregon resident for 6 months and I just moved here in June. Not sure how likely it is that gets tracked very tightly but here's hoping it's not otherwise see you guys in the spring

Reactions: halibuthitman
H
halibuthitman
If your active military you qaulify as a resident

T
Toyracer38
Well hope the Res. angler works out for ya. Truth is, the Spring fishery works great for the bank angler on the Columbia. It's a little tougher for Summer and Fall due to most fish traveling in deeper water. Hit me up in the Spring if ya need any help getting into fish.

Top Bottom