Wader questions

H
hunt-fish-trap
I need a pair of waders for a fat man, and ideas or suggestions. I hesitant to order online without knowing how they will fit

O
OnTheFly
Go into Fishermans and try some on. Most breathables will be baggy anyway for bending room. For warmth get a pair of fleeces designed for the purpose.

Raincatcher
I need a pair of waders for a fat man, and ideas or suggestions. I hesitant to order online without knowing how they will fit

:think: How old is your avitar pic? That is not a "fat man"...just sayin'.:lol: OTF has the best advice, whether you buy them there or find some online. And I definitely agree with the fleece, it will make a world of difference to your comfort zone.

K
Kevinb5688
I bought a pair of the cheap waders at cabelas. They are 3mm neopreme with felt built on shoes. They were only 58$.
I like them but you have to wear long johns and wool socks because they arent that warm.
I like the canvas ones but i didn't have that kind of cash.

N
Noahk
Bi-Mart is a good option if you just want some cheap neopreme ones (what I use). I got mine on sale last year for like 30 bucks.

Last edited:
H
hunt-fish-trap
they are for my dad, and getting his crippled old butt around is a pain. I have got all the xxl ones from around me locally. I was thinking about the stouts from cabelas, and they are on sale hella cheap so I just pulled the trigger on them and we will see in a few days

O
OnTheFly
Neoprenes can be tough to get into and get out of for a large fella. You almost need to roll them on like a condom. Stick with the breathable lightweights. IMO.

Raincatcher
Neoprenes can be tough to get into and get out of for a large fella. You almost need to roll them on like a condom. Stick with the breathable lightweights. IMO.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

H
hunt-fish-trap
oh boy dont I know it. but none of the breathable's in my price range come for fat people. They are for those skinny fly fishin peoples

E
eat, sleep, fish
oh boy dont I know it. but none of the breathable's in my price range come for fat people. They are for those skinny fly fishin peoples

I picked up a pair of cheap XXL breathables from BiMart that were on sale for $50. It was a year ago, and they're still going strong. It's always a good idea to run in there and see what they've got on sale.

H
hookbait
I picked up a pair of cheap XXL breathables from BiMart that were on sale for $50. It was a year ago, and they're still going strong. It's always a good idea to run in there and see what they've got on sale.

I've been curious about those. After I tried on their hip waders with the built on boots I didn't even look the others. The boots on the hip waders were so flimsy I thought they would be uncomfortable walking across gravel, let alone scrambling over the banks of the Wilson.

L
lilsalmon
Don't buy him neoprenes....it IS like a condom (but not as fun)and they are not meant for "big" people.....don't even ask how I know that :lol::redface:. Hodgeman breathables in stout are great...you can add layers to keep warm and move in them...

W
wozniasm

Who you callin' skinny!?
I have the lightweight breathables and they are over sized so i can put them on over my pants AND long johns.
I might look like one of those wrinkle dogs but I'm comfortable and warm and can stay in the water for quite some time!

O
OnTheFly
Who you callin' skinny!?
I have the lightweight breathables and they are over sized so i can put them on over my pants AND long johns.
I might look like one of those wrinkle dogs but I'm comfortable and warm
Really Steve?:shock:

H
halibuthitman
hip boots are for bush pilots, and moose hunters, they are very dangerous and I would suggest against anyone walking a river like the trask, wilson or any other river with rocky ledges and deep pools in a pair of them.. just sayin-

W
wozniasm
hip boots are for bush pilots, and moose hunters, they are very dangerous and I would suggest against anyone walking a river like the trask, wilson or any other river with rocky ledges and deep pools in a pair of them.. just sayin-

Agreed X 10! Way too many time stepping out thinking it's a foot or so finding it three or four feet deep....

troutdude

Could not agree more! I got a pair full, at Moonshine on the Siletz once. It was NOT a good feeling to have the weight of full waders pulling you down the rock and towards the water--with no one to help!

K
Kevinb5688
My dad had to grab my arm and save my life when i was 16 because of hip boots. I slipped in fast water and they filled up and sucked tight around my knee area. It was very scary.
I couldnt stand up or anything and my head was barely above the water. You couldnt pay me to wear those things again.

S
salmon_slayer87
I have fished with hip boots for the last 2 years...only because i didn't have to pay for them..and because i had nothing else.
but this year I am planning on buying some actual waders. lol. im sure ill be much happier with them.
Good luck to you and your Dad.
Dale