Virgin waters

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Alright folks... this is it. What began as an impulse buy of a $30 Ugly Stick in September that progressed into a minor arsenal of drift/spinning equipment in the Fall, has evolved into a 9' 8wt Sage SP rod & Abel Super 7/8 N reel outfitted with the Rio Scandi Short Versitip system that is ready for its debut voyage this weekend.

Help!

I can't say that I'm expecting to be so lucky as to land my first winter steel on a fly my first time out, but if you were me, where might you begin? PMs are most welcome. I would love any tips as to where to try, what (swinging) flies you'd use and how to make the most of the moment. I can repay any generosity with some beautiful trophy pics, smoked samples, or if nothing else, some really good vibes that are sure to enhance your future fishing endeavors.

I'm in the Portland area looking primarily at the Sandy or Clackamas rivers, but am open to almost anything really worth-while.

Advice?

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Pinky,

It looks like you've "got your groove on"; and your ready to slay 'em. Nice outfit. Good luck!

H
hunt-fish-trap
I know if it was me I would be looking in the clackamas area of oregon. there is a part of clackamas county in the lower section is open enough to swing. Also above the the high rocky outcrops are two "reel" nice flat areas. that is all im gunna say

brandon4455
brandon4455
i would head coastal to the tillamook area rivers,upper parts are usually very scenic,less crowded and loaded with fish.

G
Gone fishin
Eagle creek......fer sure

brandon4455
brandon4455
pinkygonzales said:
Alright folks... this is it. What began as an impulse buy of a $30 Ugly Stick in September that progressed into a minor arsenal of drift/spinning equipment in the Fall, has evolved into a 9' 8wt Sage SP rod & Abel Super 7/8 N reel outfitted with the Rio Scandi Short Versitip system that is ready for its debut voyage this weekend.

Help!

I can't say that I'm expecting to be so lucky as to land my first winter steel on a fly my first time out, but if you were me, where might you begin? PMs are most welcome. I would love any tips as to where to try, what (swinging) flies you'd use and how to make the most of the moment. I can repay any generosity with some beautiful trophy pics, smoked samples, or if nothing else, some really good vibes that are sure to enhance your future fishing endeavors.

I'm in the Portland area looking primarily at the Sandy or Clackamas rivers, but am open to almost anything really worth-while.

Advice?

forgot to ask,are you looking to swing flies or indicator fish with egg patterns,leeches,nymphs etc?

H
halibuthitman
brandon4455 said:
forgot to ask,are you looking to swing flies or indicator fish with egg patterns,leeches,nymphs etc?

he says swing in the origanol post-

Y
Yohan
Good on ya pinky! My first piece of advice would be to nymph for winters and swing for summers. But if you are set on swinging, I can't blame you. I personally think that swinging is the most enjoyable way to fish for steel, but it is not the most productive. Second, don't worry too much about the "fly". Just pick a couple that you like and fish the hell out of 'em. An oldtimer once told me "Confidence catches more steelhead than any certain style of fly does." Third, I would advise you to cover as much water as you can. Don't get caught up in one spot too long. Good luck to ya and I hope to see some pics in the near future... or at least some good stories!

G
GDBrown
brandon4455 said:
i would head coastal to the tillamook area rivers,upper parts are usually very scenic,less crowded and loaded with fish.

And don't forget all the trees to eat those nice new flies! :lol:

Top Bottom