Video from crab trap

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
back on June15, sent my GoPro down in a trap on the Siuslaw River just upstream of the Red marker by CG station.

edited as follows: first minute as is, then skip to 4min and go to 4X speed, then back to normal speed near the end as I pull it up...

First crab came in at 4minutes and there were still more coming in when I pulled it after about 30minutes on the bottom.

Several of the crab were right at keeper size. cheers, roger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hercZ4RwYg

J
JeannaJigs
Pretty damn cool to see them battle it out for some scraps lol

F
fishinmachine
GoPros are cool. Nice movie! Did you have 2 different baits? It seemed like the near bait was more to their liking than the far bag.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
JeannaJigs said:
Pretty damn cool to see them battle it out for some scraps lol

I love how fast the first 3 hit the bait! lol. Spiders of the Sea.

A
alm21
Super cool! Perfect for bait testing.

B
bran_man
That was awesome!

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
I am sold now on getting a Go Pro, What an awesome video ! Thanks for sharing. Reminded me of breakfast at our house when I was a kid, 5 brothers and a sister, Mom just put everything on a platter and watched the show LOL !

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fishinmachine said:
GoPros are cool. Nice movie! Did you have 2 different baits? It seemed like the near bait was more to their liking than the far bag.

yes, two baits but same stuff in each.

. I noticed from the stuff floating by that the river current is coming towards the camera and almost all the crab come from behind it, following the bait scent I guess, and they get to that first bait and stay there, why go farther? It isn't until much later, when they are crowded around the downstream bait that some bother to locate the other bait...what I took away was: it took 4 minutes for the first crabs to even arrive, so soak traps at least 30 to 45 minutes , and put one big bait right in the middle of the trap.

F
fishinmachine
rogerdodger said:
I noticed from the stuff floating by that the river current is coming towards the camera and almost all the crab come from behind it, following the bait scent I guess, and they get to that first bait and stay there, why go farther?

Makes sense

M
moosebrew13
Was the glow stick just for the camera?

B
bran_man
moosebrew13 said:

Its a trick used to attract crab. they can see that form of light

M
moosebrew13
bran_man said:
Its a trick used to attract crab. they can see that form of light

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
moosebrew13 said:

I had heard that they might help attrack crab but did just put it in to try and add some light for the camera. I think the trap was in about 15 feet of water and looked like there was plenty of light.

jamisonace
jamisonace
That's the most interesting thing I've seen in a long time. What a great idea. I might need to get a go pro now too.

V
vstheboombox
How do you like using those traps? I wanted to pick up some of those heavy duty crab pots but they are pretty spendy! Those cages seem more in my price range. Pros? Cons? Awesome video by the way!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
vstheboombox said:
How do you like using those traps? I wanted to pick up some of those heavy duty crab pots but they are pretty spendy! Those cages seem more in my price range. Pros? Cons? Awesome video by the way!

they work great and cost effective for sure but we have learned a bunch of tricks over the years that really help turn these $19 wire box traps into crab killers:

1- the newer Danielson type with plastic hinge for the crab door are better than older ones that just used a metal bend hinge, those earlier doors would stick open or closed sometimes especially when you start getting some rust.
2- doors need more weight at the bottom, I got a roll of sinker lead and wrapped 4" to 6" of it around the bottom of each door, crabs still push them open easy but they close better.
3- traps need more weight so they stay flat during moving tides- I cut some 1/2" rebar and attached 2 pieces that go corner-to-corner to the bottom of each trap using normal nylon zip-ties. traps are still not too heavy but it keeps them flat down on the bottom.

as for bait-
4- our favorite set-up now is to use one of those big plastic mesh "envelope" things they sell but we don't put it flat on the trap bottom, we attach one end to the trap bottom and secure the other end, where the bait goes in, to the top, using releasable nylon zip-ties (more on these below), we observed the crab would climb up over each other to get to higher bait and so we wanted to expose more surface area of the bait bag to them, plus it gets them pulled into the center of the trap so there was room for more crab to enter...

5- uncooked salmon or tuna heads/tails/scraps are great bait....but if we are out of that, our killer bait is taking chicken carcass chunks (whole chicken, remove breast/drum/thigh for BBQ, hack what is left in half) and marinate that overnight in a ziplock in the fridge in Pauzkee Crab/Shrimp Fuel. Killer bait and basically free.

as for the releasable nylon zip-ties, I love these for crabbing/boating/camping, these things are wider than the normal ones and easy to release (even one-handed), great thing is, you can zip them around stuff all over the boat so when you need one, just release it from where it is hanging and use it....
(that reminds me, I need to order more having given away so many).

FYI- our best pull last year on the Siuslaw, early August, normal square box trap rigged this way, we had 16 keepers in one after just a 30min. soak (see image).

cheers, roger

PS- as the vinyl coating tears/wears off and some rust forms, I just tear away any loose vinyl, rinse good, and spray with some Derusto Rust Reformer, it hardens up the rust and slows the corrosion down....

Last edited by a moderator:
V
vstheboombox
Thanks Roger!

I'll be picking up some traps hopefully this weekend. I'll use your tips for sure!

S
Siafu
Really nice video, makes me wish i wasn't allergic to shell fish. I plan to move to Oregon from hawaii in the future, and this site looks great for getting fishing info.

E
eugene1
Nice video, the best crab trap gopro I have seen! Sorry I missed it before, but since this thread is alive again, NICE WORK!

I also noticed that they entered from the "down stream" side; very interesting.

Best,