Venison breakfast sausage

C
CDN
IMG_6798.jpg

With the good luck that I have had this deer season, I wanted to use some of the meat to do something that I have wanted to do for a while but just never took the leap to give it a try - make venison sausage. With a stroke of good luck I came in contact with Mike Greco with Papa Greco's Sausage Seasonings. Mike has a wonderful line up of sausage seasonings to fit all of your needs, from making summer sausage to bratwurst, and his website has a lot of helpful tips and tricks as well, so check him out. I got a package of his Breakfast Sausage Seasoning Mix, and it is excellent! I highly recommend giving it a try!

Here's what you'll need:

5 pounds of ground venison

3 pounds of pork fat

Papa Greco's Breakfast Sausage Seasoning Mix

1 cup of water

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper (optional)

This sausage is really simple to make and you can refine the recipe and procedure to your liking. I started with 5 pounds of coursely ground venison, then I ground it again to a medium grind with the pork fat. I got my pork fat for free at the local grocery, but you could use a nice fatty Boston butt or other fatty piece of pork. Add the package of Papa Greco's Breakfast Sausage Seasoning Mix, the crushed red pepper and 1 cup of water and mix well. Run it through the grinder again with the fine head. And that's it! You have just made an excellent venison breakfast sausage.

IMG_6789.jpg

H
hunt-fish-trap
nummy nummy nummy to my tummy tummy tummy

M
Mad dog
Excellent!!!:dance:

I'll pass this one on to my youngest son! He's a meat grinding wild man!!! :lol: He made some pretty damn good elk Italian sausage's a couple of weeks ago! He could probably give this recipe a go!!! :D And I do like breakfast!!! ;)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
:clap::clap::clap: sweet.

test edit.

Last edited:
P
PNW Sam
Whenever my family shoots a deer we get the steaks, then have the rest made in to fresh (uncooked, in 1lb tubes raw) breakfast sausage. It's amazingly tasty, and is much cheaper than getting a cooked meat product, if you use a butcher.