UV - the theory

troutdude
troutdude
I think that I'll put my cats out tonight, and have them retrieve some rodents for beta testing.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
I think that I'll put my cats out tonight, and have them retrieve some rodents for beta testing.

could you sen me one so i can dab the stuff on my spinners? my cat is not allowed outside so i can't get my hands on any.

troutdude
troutdude
Would you prefer first class mail, air mail, or overnight delivery my friend? LOL

M
Mad dog
The UV craze started with big game hunting a couple of decades ago, had to wash your hunting clothes in special UV eliminating detergents or srays so that the deer wouldn't spot you, deer see light in different light spectrums! It didn't matter, the deer didn't care! I could wash all my gear in the soaps that made my brights brighter and my whites whiter, they didn't care, just don't move when the're lookin' at ya or let them wind ya!

Then a few years back some marketing genius decided that duck decoys needed to be painted with UV paints because ducks and geese have different cones and rods in their eyes and see in different light spectrums than humans, once again it really doesn't seem to make a damn bit of difference to the ducks!

Fish are of course different from deer of ducks, but....being a long time fisherman of multiple techniques and styles I'm pretty sure it won't make a lot of difference to the fish. I have a friend we call "Bender" because he always had a bend in his rod! He can walk up the the fishing hole when it's packed walk up and down the bank picking up junk or discarded gear(tackle shopping he calls it!) and proceed to catch more fish than the rest of the guys in the hole combined! Does UV give you any advantage with fish? possibly some but probably not much!

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Would you prefer first class mail, air mail, or overnight delivery my friend? LOL

ill have my mom come pick em up. thanks :lol:

S
steeltime
imfishing said:
[UVer's thinking...UH OH they're on to us.]

[We need a diversion....Quick]

My complaint is the same as its ever been...

Having purchased "Their" New UV Yarn....

I was amazed at just how little you got for your $3.50 per tuft.

My intent was to make yarnies with the yarn...but you barely get enough to fish with.

I emailed them about it, and got back some mumbo jumbo about how it is what it is.

"Yep they got me" 35 bucks worth.

That sucks, I wouldn't be to happy If I got 15 inches of "yarn" Glo bug yarn is the way to go! You get 7 feet of yarn. Thanks for sharing your "experience" on purchasing this UV product "the people" need to watch out for RIP OFFS like this.

M
meluvtrout
steeltime said:
That sucks, I wouldn't be to happy If I got 15 inches of "yarn" Glo bug yarn is the way to go! You get 7 feet of yarn. Thanks for sharing your "experience" on purchasing this UV product "the people" need to watch out for RIP OFFS like this.

Couldn't agree more! This thread deserves to be moved to consumer reports section and made a sticky! Any admins?

C
Chedster
Next time it would be wise to contact the manufacturer with your complaint. I'm sure the seller would make it right if you felt shorted on the amount of yarn you received. I have tried all major yarn brands and have never felt it was a "Rip-off" in the amount of product I received.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
$8.50 a spinner ? good god man , even bob towman(towman thumper) dont have that big of b#lls . corkie and yarn baby . good old glow bug yarn(use only glow bug) . $3.50 for about 70 yards of it .
95 % of my fish come to me on corks and yarn . in about 3 to 4 feet of water . or less
check out my web page to see how i tie them up .
some of the videos take forever to load but the corkie vid loads fast .
promise i wont try to sell you any thing .

Last edited:
A
autofisher
OK here's my thought on this and you guys can tell me that I'm outta my freakin mind. And I'll tell you "Yeah?"

UV CAN be used as a valid tool in your fishing gear. It's going to depend on when and where you choose to use it. There have been studies that show that humans emit a low light level that cannot be seen to the human eye.... we can't see it, but it's still there. If you take into consideration that most animals have a much better grasp on thier senses than any of us do, it would make sense that thier vision is also heightened. Salmon and steelhead are without a doubt in thier prime out in the ocean where they have absolutely everything they need to survive. In the ocean a lot of predators rely on UV receptors to feed and stay away from other predators. When they enter into the river systems there is a significant change to the entire fish. I believe that the further away from the ocean that they are, the less effective the UV will be as thier vision and bodies have began to deteriorate ( more so in salmon).

I do believe that a lot of tackle makers have preyed on unwitting fishermen who don't know any better. I don't think that they do it on purpose or are trying to fool anyone. I think they haven't done thier job to really expose the time and the place to break out the gear for a better chance of getting into some fish.

We've all got our "go to" gear. Just because you haven't hammered fish on UV doesn't mean that someone else who hasn't posted has. Like it was mentioned before, confidence is everything when you're out on the water. If you know your spot and you know what works in there...... use it, don't complain because you tried something new and it didn't produce in the time frame that you gave it.

If you're not happy with the manufacturer of a product, send them a message. If that doesn't work, e-mail them. If you still don't get a response, go with a different company next time.