Use of live sand worms or blood worms in Oregon?

C
carolina
Hi all,

In California, bait shops sell huge (and very expensive) marine worms to fish perch. Can I find those worms in stores here in Oregon? Where?
As I understand they are brought from Maine

appreciate any information ;)

C
Chief Jim
carolina said:
Hi all,

In California, bait shops sell huge (and very expensive) marine worms to fish perch. Can I find those worms in stores here in Oregon? Where?

I have used them in California, but have never seen them up here in the bait shops, and the ones that I dig up on the mud flats are way too small to be of any value as bait. This leads me to believe that sand worms get much of their sustenance from exposure to smog. Well, okay it hasn't been thoroughly studied, but considering all the things that they have forced on California Lab Rats, we should be hearing something on this any day.
For the last couple of weeks, I have been on a quest to find fresh squid for bait. Its tough and stays on the hook well and is a natural bait for those toothy saltwater critters. After trying nearly every grocery outlet and fish monger in Lincoln City, all I have found is a small jar of pickled squid! Next time I'm in Newport, I'm going to spend some time down on the waterfront to see if anyone down there has it.
Wish I was younger. Seems to me that there is a real opportunity here on the coast for someone with a little scratch to set up a real bait shop that handles something besides half dead worms and soft herring!
Chief Jim

H
halibuthitman
squid

squid

If a fella wanted squid he could go down to any cannery coldstorage on the coast and buy a 20-40 lb box of frozen squid for about 80 cents a pound... I use it, Slightly thaw the box seperate the semi frozen squid into packs of five seal them with a food proccesor and sell half to your buddies to cover the cost, you can also pickle some for sturg bait, recipes are all over online. or call ocean bueaty on the phone and attempt to order a box. The reason the bait market is so lame is that these things you view as bait actually have way more value as food in other countries.... and most markets DEMAND 100% delivery from fishing vessels or they will dock them in the price. You see squid, hering, slime eels, smelt and the like are in worldwide demand as delacacies.... where in many countries salmon and trout are considered good protien as dog or pig food. America is a somewhat backward place when it comes to seafood. Good fishin-

C
Chief Jim
halibuthitman said:
If a fella wanted squid he could go down to any cannery coldstorage on the coast and buy a 20-40 lb box of frozen squid for about 80 cents a pound... I use it, Slightly thaw the box seperate the semi frozen squid into packs of five seal them with a food proccesor and sell half to your buddies to cover the cost, you can also pickle some for sturg bait, recipes are all over online. or call ocean bueaty on the phone and attempt to order a box. The reason the bait market is so lame is that these things you view as bait actually have way more value as food in other countries.... and most markets DEMAND 100% delivery from fishing vessels or they will dock them in the price. You see squid, hering, slime eels, smelt and the like are in worldwide demand as delacacies.... where in many countries salmon and trout are considered good protien as dog or pig food. America is a somewhat backward place when it comes to seafood. Good fishin-

I totally agree that we Americans are somewhat backward in our eating habits. I spent most of my naval career in the South Pacific and was married to an oriental for 27 years. I've had a whole lot of things in my mouth that would never be found on most American tables--squid, octopus, eel, raw fish, seaweed, pig's blood, and beetles to name a few. This was one of the reasons that I was so surprised at the lack of availability of squid (calamari) in the local markets. BTW, it is actually very good if not overcooked.
On a whim, I stopped into the Safeway in Lincoln City today and they had calamari in the freezer case. Three lbs. for $7.00! That's enough for a meal for the wife and I, with enough left over to keep me in bait for the rest of the summer!
Chief Jim

C
catphish
bait problems made easy= asian food stores! the coolers and fish dept in asain markets are the best place for baits. Im portland, I hit uwajimaya for squid, herring, anchovies, smelt, all of it. Hands down best spot to get em, and if you early, you score the fresh stuff and dont have to hit freezer dept.

T
Troutier Bassier
catphish said:
bait problems made easy= asian food stores! the coolers and fish dept in asain markets are the best place for baits. Im portland, I hit uwajimaya for squid, herring, anchovies, smelt, all of it. Hands down best spot to get em, and if you early, you score the fresh stuff and dont have to hit freezer dept.
Lol. The answer to all your troubles.

C
catphish
B I N G O! Its also way cheeper than going down to bait shops for it. Same source just repackaged and marked up higher. A package of fresh smelt for $1 vs a frozen pouch of Jim Bob's Man-handled Smelt (with the goober on the label) $4.99. Im no gee-nee-us, but I can figur dat out.

just dont tell the mass fishers (mexicans/russians). There will be no more bait. nothing against feeding families, but the next mexican I see running for the treeline with a shaker, is going to get a lead upside his avocado.

Last edited:
A
Anyfishisfine
Chief Jim said:
I totally agree that we Americans are somewhat backward in our eating habits. I spent most of my naval career in the South Pacific and was married to an oriental for 27 years. I've had a whole lot of things in my mouth that would never be found on most American tables--squid, octopus, eel, raw fish, seaweed, pig's blood, and beetles to name a few. This was one of the reasons that I was so surprised at the lack of availability of squid (calamari) in the local markets. BTW, it is actually very good if not overcooked.
On a whim, I stopped into the Safeway in Lincoln City today and they had calamari in the freezer case. Three lbs. for $7.00! That's enough for a meal for the wife and I, with enough left over to keep me in bait for the rest of the summer!
Chief Jim

Yeah, my wife is Chinese (from Taiwan), and I have lived in Asia. I've eaten many strange things from sea cucumber, jellyfish, sea urchins, chicken guts, chicken feet, 1,000 year-old-eggs, bird's nests, and things that tasted good but they refused to tell me what it was.

I second the Asian markets as a great bait source. They have everything you would ever need, and sold as food it's cheaper than bait I've found.

H
Hawk
Does anyone know why they don't sell Pileworms in Oregon??

Lustrums ago they were one of my favorite baits in California. Just about every baitstore sold them......................:confused::confused:

F
FishSchooler
Go to east portland along powell... abc seafood, an dong, fubonn... I was at abc (american bought chinese) seafood market and they had a huge bag of salmon eggs for like 5 bucks compared to a little 8 oz jar for 5 bucks!

K
koboabe
catphish said:

it depends on where you live I guess, but there is a much better option than Uwajimaya.

on SE 82nd and about 2 blocks south of Division is a store called Fubon.
this place has a huge live seafood selection and even more frozen.
they are maybe half the cost of uwajimaya.
there is another place on NE Sandy BLVD and like 72nd that is called Than Thao...
they also have a great selection for a decent price, but its hard to beat Fubon.

while @ Fubon stop by the deli and get a cheap $2 Banh mi (vietnamese sandwich) they are worth it.

K
koboabe
FishSchooler said:
Go to east portland along powell... abc seafood, an dong, fubonn... I was at abc (american bought chinese) seafood market and they had a huge bag of salmon eggs for like 5 bucks compared to a little 8 oz jar for 5 bucks!

FishSchooler beat me to the punch, but 82nd is chop full of awesome asian markets...

F
FishSchooler
You should see what kind of fish they sell... :shock: Sometimes, trout, others, sturgeon to peacock fish, to all kinds of eel, perch, whatever!
Get one of their "jumbo pork buns." Looks disgusting inside cause they put all kinds of stuff in it, but it's delicious!

B
Born2Fish55
Hillsboro, Oregon

Hillsboro, Oregon

I buy mine from the seafood section at Winco Foods in Hillsboro.... great big box of frozen clams, squid, octopus, and other things... I place the left overs into mesh bags to tie off to my crab rings... works good and taste okay.

B
Born2Fish55
Humbolt Squid

Humbolt Squid

This last year was great... more should have followed my lead... I went down to the beach and collected a fairly decent assortment of fresh Humbolt Squid when they were washing ashore. I cut and vaccum sealed enough bait Squid to last me several years. I finally have enough that I can afford to load up the hooks.
I also spoke with several of the 'Seafood' counter people at a few places like Winco and Fred Meyer, they save the 'slurry' from the evening cleanout of the display cases. Some sell it to me and others just give it to me if I buy something else. I mix all of this into bags that I let my Crab bait marinade in. The rest, I freeze into some ice cube trays and pour into the bait bags for my Crab traps.
The bags are then refrozen until needed. As they defrost, the juice gives off a great scent trail, the tid-bits attract small fish and bring the Crab quicker than the bait alone. Draw back is that it also gets the Sea Lions going too! Big blocks make fantastic 'off-shore' chumming!

T
Throbbit _Shane
when i went to brookings in june i bought some squid from the tackle shop. i didint catch anything. but the next day i woke up and that stuff smelt worse then... never mind lol

B
Born2Fish55
Throbbit _Shane said:
when i went to brookings in june i bought some squid from the tackle shop. i didint catch anything. but the next day i woke up and that stuff smelt worse then... never mind lol

Day old Squik.... Ick!!!!
:(
Frozen Squid... good!
Thawed Squid... okay, sort of!!!
Second day thawed out Squid..... BAD, VERY BAD!!!!

T
troutmasta
Born2Fish55 said:
Day old Squik.... Ick!!!!
:(
Frozen Squid... good!
Thawed Squid... okay, sort of!!!
Second day thawed out Squid..... BAD, VERY BAD!!!!

how bout day old crab:redface:

L
livin2fish
carolina said:
Hi all,

check around the rocks on the jetties etc. all those critters are food for ocean fish. take a big flathead screwdriver or something to pry them off the rocks and fishon.

FISHON