Unnamed small creek, Willamette Zone

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
Great morning today, went for a quick fish in a small creek by my house (unnamed due to the size and susceptibility to pressure). 5 hours and at least 15 fish on the fly later I’m smiling and wanted to leave a report for you all here.

Cool fall day, overcast and about 55f warming to mid 60’s as the day went on. fished from 9am to 2pm, caught a lot of small fish and it was very satisfying. 5x 10ft leader worked but was more productive when moving to 6x. Size 16-18 BWO’s and sparkle duns caught a couple but they really went off when I tied on an orange/yellow elk hair attractor size 14-16.

Moral of the story, no need to drive far just go get on your local water!

• A69252F3-62B3-4860-B872-60E29CF4AAEA.jpeg
  • 3D86344D-B129-4CE1-BE56-BC8B8ECF12BC.jpeg
  • C9DDB6D2-E09C-4089-9026-554D79477290.jpeg
  • 431B06EF-A138-475B-8454-47B57F7C8105.jpeg
  • 49218863-542A-4EF8-9465-060D21216DE7.jpeg
  • 83BCDF23-BDF5-43B0-8501-9B4E5D70AC7C.jpeg
Reactions: fromthelogo
bass
bass
Nice job! When I lived in PA I would fly fish all winter long. The small streams would hold a few trout, suckers that would swim up from the big rivers to spawn and chub. I loved catching all 3. Catching fish on a fly is always a good day. Congrats on getting out and having fun!

Reactions: Blue Lines
Blue Lines
Blue Lines
bass said:
Nice job! When I lived in PA I would fly fish all winter long. The small streams would hold a few trout, suckers that would swim up from the big rivers to spawn and chub. I loved catching all 3. Catching fish on a fly is always a good day. Congrats on getting out and having fun!
Thank you for the encouragement! Went back this morning, explored a slightly different section and had a great time. The fish were slightly larger and it’s always fun to find new water! I had fished below this stretch a couple times in the past but had mostly written the area off as being too flat and warm (pretty close to the Willamette in the mid-valley). Now looking for a lighter fly rod to better cater to the wonderful experience with this home water.

bass
bass
Way to go! Looks like another fun day on the water!

Reactions: Blue Lines
N
NoHurry
Wouldn't you want the GI JOE or Ken doll rod and reel to use ( super dooper micro tiny light ) to catch that size fish?

C
Cooper
In the end, this is a tributary to a larger river. I cross some beautiful ones that eventually feed into the Willamette. How do you tell which ones are open and for what.

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
NoHurry said:
Wouldn't you want the GI JOE or Ken doll rod and reel to use ( super dooper micro tiny light ) to catch that size fish?
It was so much fun I went back and got some (very slightly) larger ones! I’ve been thinking of picking up a 2wt or 3wt rod just for these small streams, any recommendations?

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
Cooper said:
In the end, this is a tributary to a larger river. I cross some beautiful ones that eventually feed into the Willamette. How do you tell which ones are open and for what.
This stream is actually a tributary of the Willamette, where are you located? Perhaps we could fish together sometime.

The ODFW regulations are available printed or on their website at http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/fishing/
Most rivers close for trout on October 31st but there are some exceptions, especially in the Willamette Zone. It’s always good to check these as some streams are permanently closed or have special restrictions as well. Willamette Zone exceptions begin on page 44 in this year’s book.

Reactions: Cooper