Summertime small creek fly fishing

brandon4455
brandon4455
In the time i have bee gone from OFF i have been mostly working to pay for my flies and gear. i have been sitting on my butt being lazy (besides working) tying flies and thinking about my upcoming birthday on the 13th of next month. and finally caved and go back into fly fishing mode. i got a ride to a gravel road a smal distance outside town in the foothils of the coast range and hiked up creek a few miles flinging dry flies and small nymphs into a small creek loaded with cutthroat and fesity little rainbows. stretch after stretch of water was loaded with fish but they proved to be tricky. most fish were missed on the hookset or came off but a few were landed. i had hiked into areas i never had access to which was pretty cool. i caught one 10inch bow on a dry fly and most fish were smaller in the 5-8inch range,but made for plenty of smiles and excitement. for only six hours on the water i covered around 2-3 miles of creek. for how low and diminished it was from the sun, it remained cool,shaded and fast flowing remaining perfect habitat for the trout uffering from low oxygen levels in the lower creek. i fished mostly dries until i ran out (damn trees!) and nymphed small size 16-20 pheasent tails to imitate mayflies the bows were slurping up in small riffles and runs. im pleased to say the creek up there has quite a large amount fish for being less then 8ft wide and 1-3ft deep this time of year. pictures hopefully later today. if not i will find a way. they were on a hq camera my parents let me use now which is pretty sweet. so for everyone who is asking what happend to me, as lilsalmon said ims till alive and kicking. just missing being on OFF. ill be back before the year is up on a regular basis liek i use to.

• BRANDON 088.jpg
  • BRANDON 113.jpg
  • BRANDON 087.jpg
  • BRANDON 105.jpg
  • BRANDON 103.jpg
  • BRANDON 095.jpg
  • BRANDON 100.jpg
  • BRANDON 098.jpg
Last edited:
Gunga
Gunga
Nice. wish i had access to that kind of water around here.

S
Spydeyrch
Nice to see you're still kicking and still fishing!! I sent you that info you requested. Hopefully we can go fishing sometime soon. I am reserving some time in August to go fishing. Just let me know when!

Take care bro.

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
some more pics

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks randy, heres the pic of the first and biggest fish of the trip. the pic doesn't do it justice..it was on my phone.

L
lilsalmon
Excellent pics brandon!!! Glad you got that water to fish at. Gonna have to get out again soon.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thnks guys and gals. and that rainbows sure was a dandy in my book. i didn't expect a fish that big to explode on my dry in such a small pocket. he put up a darn good fight too!