Umpqua 'Yard Sale'

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
today, instead of focusing on fishing for springers, "bad decision rogerdodger" got overconfident going up some rapids above Scottsburg, these were rapids that he should have left to the jet boats....:)

as a result, I had rolled my PA12 on some very cold whitewater and had a 'yard sale' (kayaking slang for hanging OFF your inverted boat with your gear spreading out around you and/or going down to the bottom :sad: )...all I lost was my favorite chinook rod/reel and a Scotty holder plus my $49 'disposable' smarty phone is now just a tiny aquarium; I came home with everything else (sonar, GPS, GoPro, bonker, scissors, walkietalkie, leatherman, net, MinnKota, battery, box of mag lips, box of spinners...). leashes and good karma; I even found my coffee thermos washed up on shore 1/4 mile down river!

thanks to "good decision rogerdodger", my Kokatat Angler suit kept me dry and safe in the 49F water :thumb: ...I am heading back first thing in the morning to get after the springers that I should have been focused on today instead of being silly in powerful whitewater...cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
E
eugene1
Glad you are fine!

Are there many boats starting to fish at Scottsburg? Any fish there yet?

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Glad you are fine!

Are there many boats starting to fish at Scottsburg? Any fish there yet?

Best,

just a few boats, I had passed about 4 boats above the bridge and there were 2 jet boats anchored just above the rapids that flipped me (I hope none of them were drinking coffee when I swamped, they might well have sprayed it out their noses)....I saw 2 fish roll near shore that looked like springer sized chinook to me and a couple of big arches on the Elite-7 so I think the first springers are there...

L
LuckyFisher
Glad you are okay!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Hey...you can now charge admittance...to your new aquarium visitors! :D

But seriously...certainly glad that you resurfaced in one piece (and didn't hypothermiate). :peace:

B
billfisher
ouch! Glad you were well prepared for it! Now lets see some pictures of fish tomorrow.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Hey pal be careful out there I need you in good shape for fishing for some fall nooks��

T
Throbbit _Shane
Good thing you were well prepared with a dry suit and had most of your stuff secured to the boat.

Did you happen to have the GoPro running when you flipped?

If you want to run some Umpqua rapids in the summer when the water is warm let me know!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Throbbit _Shane said:
Good thing you were well prepared with a dry suit and had most of your stuff secured to the boat.

Did you happen to have the GoPro running when you flipped?

If you want to run some Umpqua rapids in the summer when the water is warm let me know!

Had the GoPro in place but not running, it would have been cool video, while flipped the mount came loose and the back-up lease saved it for me...

I spent today relaxing on Munsel Lake, testing everything and checking for hull leaks (no problems), and went 5 for 6 on holdover pellet heads from the February planting...I can get back to springer fishing Wednesday...cheers, roger

B
billfisher
Nice holdovers!

T
troutmasta
Wow Roger!
Glad your safe!!!!

Leave that nonsense up to youngsters like Tanner.

Seriously though, really glad your fine, way to be prepared with the cold water gear.

Top Bottom