Umpqua great today, but your opinion on cutting the hook ?????

T
Tacomasteelheader
Fished the umpqua on a spot today, water was blown out but this spot is state renown for producing winter steelhead even at 13 feet, anyways we killed them i banked two broke two the guy by me landed 3 and lost one the other guy broke two and lost another , the steelhead we did bank just absolutely swallowed the hook, so what's your opinion on digging the hook out or just cutting the line close to the hook to get the fish back in quickly? (because they are natives)

J
JeannaJigs
Cut the hook, they dissolve. Digging it out will almost always guarantee mortality.

S
steelhead_slayer
agreed

D
dtikey
good call and sounds like a good day fishing well done

T
Tacomasteelheader
The old guy that was there just cut the line close to the hook as possible and we just turned the fish around with our feet and they swam off. Did that with all of them . Just wanted some opinions

N
neverbackdown7
Another thing to consider is to not fish with roe on the Umpqua, as the fish tend to inhale it. The high capacity of natives makes it more reasonable to fish with spin n glows as they provide a more classic hook set. Although it has been a good hatchery year. Makes more sense to prepare for catch and release as a main priority, you could also pinch the barb on the hook. (If youre already doing these things than disregard lol). But good report!!!

E
eugene1
I would have done the same with a nate. Cut it off close and say bye. They're gonna spawn and die soon and they will do better with a hook in 'em than being operated on the bank.

Best,

Tacomasteelheader said:
Fished the umpqua on a spot today, water was blown out but this spot is state renown for producing winter steelhead even at 13 feet, anyways we killed them i banked two broke two the guy by me landed 3 and lost one the other guy broke two and lost another , the steelhead we did bank just absolutely swallowed the hook, so what's your opinion on digging the hook out or just cutting the line close to the hook to get the fish back in quickly? (because they are natives)

T
Tacomasteelheader
Yeah i fish with spin glows and stuff to make it easier to catch and release but its hard to catch steel head when the water is at 11 feet chocolate brown and i'm fishing a boil spot where they rest because the water is so high. not applicable for a spin glow. (fyi)

H
halibuthitman
neverbackdown7 said:
Another thing to consider is to not fish with roe on the Umpqua, as the fish tend to inhale it. The high capacity of natives makes it more reasonable to fish with spin n glows as they provide a more classic hook set. Although it has been a good hatchery year. Makes more sense to prepare for catch and release as a main priority, you could also pinch the barb on the hook. (If youre already doing these things than disregard lol). But good report!!!
I hate bait, never use it.. despise its messiness and even its existance..... but, The Province of British Columbia has done 2 extensive studies, and many other institutions and states have thrown a lot of money at this... and ALL studies provided absolutely no correlation between bait and exessive steelhead mortalitity in a catch and release situations, they did however prove that using bait substantialy increased the odds of a fish being caught and retained in a catch and keep enviroment... there is absolutely nothing unethical or wrong with catch and release fishing with roe, well exept if you stain all the rocks and leave emty containers everywhere, the OP applied the use of bait exactly when bait was needed, myself and my flyrod would have stayed home..

N
neverbackdown7
Tacomasteelheader said:
Yeah i fish with spin glows and stuff to make it easier to catch and release but its hard to catch steel head when the water is at 11 feet chocolate brown and i'm fishing a boil spot where they rest because the water is so high. not applicable for a spin glow. (fyi)

I was afraid my post would be read wrong lol I did not mean to offend I was just sharing info I had learned myself. Very true spin glos have limitations too. My intention was to provide an alternative method. Also i never said it was unethical to use roe its perfectly fine ive done it myself its just ive realized on my own that it can cause the fish to inhale it lol and as mentioned hooks usually dissolve.