Turkey invasion?

I
igot_it
I realize some people like the turkeys and some don't but remember some things. These are wild animals introduced for the purpose of being hunted.Our game license dollars were used to get them here. Second I have spent some time chasing these things and I can tell you that if they are walking around town it's because someone is feeding them. It might be accidental like leaving out dog food or bird feeders but they'll only stay where there is food. If you really have lived around where turkeys are in their home range while the breeding season happens you will not like them so much anymore. They are very destructive and a older Tom can super aggressive, and believe it or not they can be dangerous. I hunted an area for years and was never able to get permission to hunt a particular piece of property. until the year the dominant Tom spurred and killed their lab. Next year I was on it with no problem. (Obviously I wouldn't do that in Dallas......come to think of it you can use a BOW for them though....;)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh, I know the ugly suckers can be mean. :confused: I was chased by one when I was very young. The only thing that saved my skinny lil butt was...my skinny lil butt sliding under the front porch. :shock: Our neighbors' dog was my hero for months after coming to my rescue. I still don't trust birds bigger than my fist...:naughty:

G
GDBrown
The best turkey is the one in the oven! Them more dark meat on it the better!

M
Mad dog
The Dallas turkeys were more than likely transplanted from Douglas county birds at some point in time. They are thriving in Eugene as well!!! My dad's place has an easy 30-50 turkeys on it! And hundreds of Mallards that fly in to eat what the turkeys and peacocks get fed! :D

This is how we handle our turkey population down our way! The boys made this little video several seasons ago. Normally, these Toms would roost up the ridge in a fir stand a couple of hundred yds away but when it got light the birds were roosted all around them in the oaks. Made for some cool footage!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWcIBGuNphU

S
skunk
Mad dog, you guys just have too much fun out there. I need to move away from the portland area for sure some day.

J
juggernaut506
My buddies place in Elgin is crawling with turkeys. Some years ago he counted 420+ turkeys in a single huge flock in a field of his.

T
Team CF
I will hunt anywhere anyone does not want Turkeys. It is my favorite type of hunting and basically the only type that I do.

B
Boombollie
There's a whole bunch now deciding to hang out with all the freaks in the Whitekaer neighborhood in Eugene. Pretty funny......