Tules around Dabney park

M
Moe
Any tules around dabney park? Been having trouble getting into salmon lately cedar was dead on Monday. Just want to fight something even if I have to put it back. Never caught a tule before do I just use spinners/ corkies/jigs?
Thanks for any info!

P
plumb2fish
The Sandy has a run of Lower River Bright a lot like the run on the Lewis.

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
maybe I have just been out of it for too long but this species is unknown to me... is the name short for something?

M
Moe
Tules are a native chinook that turn dark really fast

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
hmm... goes to show you learn something new everyday. can't believe I never heard of that. thanks tho

F
Fish-N-Chips
Here is a nice Tule I caught last year at Buoy 10 in August. Anyway there are tule fish that are hatchery like the one I have pictured below. I thought that all Tule fish were native, but to my surprise there is a big hatchery program for them in Wahington and that is where you see these fish in the mouth of the Big "C" and all the tribs. These fish do deteriorate fast in fresh water and put OFF a foul odor, but if you catch them in time they will cut fine like mine did(thankfully). Only one I have ever caught (except for a questionable one on the sandy many years back). Great fighters!!

P
perfectg03
Moe said:
Tules are a native chinook that turn dark really fast

This statement from Moe is 100% false. They are not chinook that just turn dark really fast. They are lower columbia spawners that come from a different genetic make up than the URB's. Most of the tules are bound for Big/Gnat Creeks and other lower columbia trips, mainly ending as high as the lewis river. You are not catching tules in the Sandy, just fall nookies that turn quick. Fall fish start turning immediately after leaving the salt, unlike their spring cousins.

T
troutmasta
perfectg03 said:
This statement from Moe is 100% false..

100% is way overboard.

Tule refers to the timing of the run according to NOAA http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/fisheries/s...ower_columbia_river_chinook_salmon_tules.html

and according to them they are chinook.

Fish-n-Chips- According to the same artice, they do indeed have a Tule hatchey program.

Another cool article I found http://www.fws.gov/pacific/news/news.cfm?id=2144374751

In 2011 they(WA) stocked 6.2 Million Tule smolts directly into the Big C!

So moe you were 66% correct, they are nooks, they are dark, but-they do have hatchery runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moe
M
Moe
I meant the tules in the Sandy are nates, or am I mistaken?

Let's see:
·never seen a picture of a chrome tule out of the sandy
·never seen one without an adipose come out of there
·I've shocked you are saying they aren't
Chinook

I would really like to know what they are then. Are they anadramous catfish? Or bass? Oh wait wait I know they must be lamprey. I'm sorry

M
Moe
troutmasta said:
100% is way overboard.

Tule refers to the timing of the run according to NOAA http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/fisheries/s...ower_columbia_river_chinook_salmon_tules.html

and according to them they are chinook.

Fish-n-Chips- According to the same artice, they do indeed have a Tule hatchey program.

Another cool article I found http://www.fws.gov/pacific/news/news.cfm?id=2144374751

In 2011 they(WA) stocked 6.2 Million Tule smolts directly into the Big C!

So moe you were 66% correct, they are nooks, they are dark, but-they do have hatchery runs.

That's some great info, I'm curious about these hatchery tules. Why don't they do something like this on the clack or sandy?

C_Run
C_Run
Here's another B-10 tule from 2011 when we went with Marvin. He said he gets some up around Portland, too. Just repeating what he said as I am no expert on tules. This one cut great but I guess they have a bad reputation somehow.

H8tWSdw.jpg

You can sure tell them from the urb's when you are in line at the filleting station at Hammond.

M
Moe
Nice fish! That one looks like it survived a net

Irishrover
Irishrover
Tule is the chinooken (native american-indian) word for "White Salmon". Hence the White Salmon River in Washington. They are native to the lower but go up past bonniville dam. They are used in a lot of the hatcheries in Washington and Oregon. If you catch them early enough they are not bad canned or smoked. There is a ton of information about them on the internet. They can put up an awsome fight if you hook a big one.

J
joem
so are you saying they are white meated chinook? that still look decent on the outside? i caught one about the color of the picture posted that was white meated but had a ton of fat on him. then every year in the mckenzie we catch a few early good looking fish that a white meated but have tons of fat.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Their meat back toward the tail is white, the rest is sometimes a pale pink/orange. Their outside is dark not bright like an up river fish. C run and fish n chips pictures are good examples. The chinook that have to travel to Idaho or Hanford reach are brighter because they have a lot longer trip, they are not as close to spawning as the lower river tule.