Tualitin River

F
Fisherman
Anybody have a clue on how to catch the steelhead and salmon in the tualitin I keep only getting the trout to bite on flies

DOKF
DOKF
You're getting bites?

Reactions: Echskech
bass
bass
When the coho run in the fall in September the Tualatin usually gets its fair share but at other times of the year you are most likely catching smolts if you think you are catching trout.

F
Fisherman
bass said:
When the coho run in the fall in September the Tualatin usually gets its fair share but at other times of the year you are most likely catching smolts if you think you are catching trout.
Thanks for the tip by the way what’s the best way to get them

F
flylooper
Fisherman said:
Anybody have a clue on how to catch the steelhead and salmon in the tualitin I keep only getting the trout to bite on flies
I'd suggest using bigger flies. ;)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
my feeling is that the Tualatin probably gets very few, if any, returning steelhead and that is why it isn't open to steelhead fishing under the regs. That seems like sort of a hint. :)

F
Fisherman
rogerdodger said:
my feeling is that the Tualatin probably gets very few, if any, returning steelhead and that is why it isn't open to steelhead fishing under the regs. That seems like sort of a hint. :)
Fair point but how come I’ve hook a good amount for the last two weeks either I ran into a school or they were stationed or just right place right time also the cutthroat are in the mouth of fanno creek in march

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fisherman said:
Fair point but how come I’ve hook a good amount for the last two weeks either I ran into a school or they were stationed or just right place right time also the cutthroat are in the mouth of fanno creek in march
you have hooked trout or steelhead?

F
Fisherman
rogerdodger said:
you have hooked trout or steelhead?
Hooked steelhead and seen multiple people catch trout that time of year

F
Fisherman
I did some research and you can indeed fish it for salmon steelhead and trout according to Odfw I called them to be sure

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fisherman said:
I did some research and you can indeed fish it for salmon steelhead and trout according to Odfw I called them to be sure
Cool, did they say what had changed- was it the Willamette Zone regulations or the Exceptions for the Tualitin?

P
pcstock
NOT open for Steelhead. Sorry Fisherman. Below are the current exemptions for the Tualatin.

Tualatin River and Tributaries​

The following apply to open sections below: *

• Open all year for trout. Harvest allowed May 22 - Oct 31, 2 per day, 8 inch minimum length, remainder of year catch-and-release.
* Mainstem mouth to Hwy 47 bridge at Gaston

• Open for coho salmon Aug 1 - Oct 31.
  • Use of bait allowed.
* Mainstem above Hwy 47 bridge at Gaston and all tributaries

• Artificial flies and lures only.

Reactions: scched and rogerdodger