Trout Fishing Near McMinnville

F
flippinbaits
Hey Guys!

Just moved to McMinnville and wanted to get to fishing. I wanted to get some insight on trout fishing during this time. I hear stocking doesn't usuall fall till feb or later, but there have been a few ones such as huddelston? and sheridan pond soon. I live in Mcminnville so anything close (w/ in 45 min) would be great help. I prefer using small spoons and meps to dunkin powerbait, but i wont complain. thanks for the help!!

J
JTLunker
Flippin I have been to Huddleston Pond and liked it a lot. A small pond just outside of Sheridan. If you mapquest the prison out there it will take you right there. I got skunked when I went but my uncle and friend were catching fish. There is a windmill in the middle of the pond and that is where most of the people there were catching fish. Hope that helps and welcome to the site.

F
flippinbaits
JT

i thought huddelston pond was in wilimina and sheridan pond was the one by the prison.

D
D Burris
Huddleston / Sheridan

Huddleston / Sheridan

I would like to hear what the difference is also. The pond by the prison does not look accessable. Where would the Sheridan Pond be? I have fished Huddlestone Pond before. In the early part of the year is best. The grass grows too fast in the summer months. And no I have never caught a fish out of there. I have seen some caught 4 or 5 and have heard stories of big ones being caught. I had the same kind of luck at Junction City Pond. Went there last year three weekends in five weeks. Never even got a nibble. I was watching the stocking report and according to it and the size of the pond, you should have been able to walk across that pond on their backs. But we did not seen any caught, no one was getting any bites. Nothing. It was very strange.

Does anyone know if you can catch crawfish from the Tualatin and can they be eaten? I have heard some people fishing the Tualatin River but haven't heard anything about crawfish. The Tualatin Crawfish Festival use to thrive on the crawfish from that river. Are they still there or fished out?

D Burris

F
flippinbaits
fellas,

here is the deal. Huddelston pond is NOT in sheriden. Sheriden pond is the one in sheriden right next to the correctional facility. Huddelston pond is in Wilimima, right off their "main street". I wen't to both today, both were FROZEN over. Huddelston you could walk on it was so frozen. Both look fun to fish. You can drop a float tube in huddelston and there is supposed to be bass fishing there as well. Sheriden i think gets more pressure as it is right of exit 33 and easy to get to. Since both were frozen, i fished the yamhill river in willimima and caught a baby steelhead on a small rapala while i was going for smallmouth. hope that clears stuff up

D
D Burris
Sheridan Pond

Sheridan Pond

I have never seen anyone at the Pond by the Sheridan Prison. Where do you park? And you are talking about the pond between the highway and the prison. It looks like a water reservior?:D

F
flippinbaits
the one in sheriden you take exit 33...take a left and then there is a sign that says fishing pond with free parking...you can't miss it..and the pond is behind the resivoir you see in front

J
JTLunker
Thanks for correcting me Flippin. Glad you set us straight big guy! I have confused those ponds before, my bad! Nice work on the baby Steeli!

F
flippinbaits
no problem man, if you every head of there, send me a message and maybe we can slay some trout together...both arent far from me...take it easy

D
DethanB
Huddleston Pond. Is that by the fire department over there in Willamina?

F
flippinbaits
Im not sure about the Firehouse, wasn't looking at it as i drove in. But its right downtown, while driving through wilimina. As you head west it will be on your left with a sign that says fishing.

O
Oncorhynchus
HAGG it does not open for a few more weeks but i always pic a few up with spinner and spoons there.

D
DDR
flippinbaits said:
fellas,

here is the deal. Huddelston pond is NOT in sheriden. Sheriden pond is the one in sheriden right next to the correctional facility. Huddelston pond is in Wilimima, right off their "main street". I wen't to both today, both were FROZEN over. Huddelston you could walk on it was so frozen. Both look fun to fish.

I realize it's been almost a year since your post... but I was curious... do you have any clue how thick the ice was? I'm eager to find an ice fishing location here in Oregon! My ice rods are lookin' for some action.

F
flippinbaits
not that thick and it is only like maybe 6 feet deep

D
DDR
Doesn't have to be deep to have fish to catch. As long as it's 4 inches thick it's considered "safe" to walk on. I feel much safer at 6 inches but nothing less than the 4 inches.

K
KaeMe01
No Good

No Good

I wouldn't ice fish there, head up into the hills.

D
DDR
Where in the hills? I've heard that a lot of the lakes aren't accessible during the winter due to snow.

F
Fishtopher
Im pretty sure ice fishing is an eastern/central Oregon show. Too much snow up in the Cascades to access most iced up lakes. But I dont know anything on the subject. Just what I always thought.