Trout Fillets for Bait (Legalities)

B
Bad Tuna
beaverfan said:
Yes they are.
I stand corrected.... I think?

Last summer we fished Brownlee for catfish, a guy near us was using chunks of trout. When the trooper checked us he asked the guy about his trout, said they were from a trout farm and showed his reciept. Trooper said to make sure he hangs on to the reciept in case he was checked again. Maybe that's an option?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Bad Tuna said:
I stand corrected.... I think?

Last summer we fished Brownlee for catfish, a guy near us was using chunks of trout. When the trooper checked us he asked the guy about his trout, said they were from a trout farm and showed his reciept. Trooper said to make sure he hangs on to the reciept in case he was checked again. Maybe that's an option?

Arnt Stocked trout from "trout farms" ? Can we show the troopers our receipts from when we bought our fishing licenses ? :D

I eat stocked trout. most of the time ill smoke them.

D
Drew9870
Throbbit _Shane said:
Arnt Stocked trout from "trout farms" ? Can we show the troopers our receipts from when we bought our fishing licenses ? :D

Maybe our Powerbait receipts? ;):lol:

P
plumb2fish
It says not to mutilate them. so fish them whole...a great little "secret" for sturgeon above the falls on the Willy

P
plumb2fish
Pellet head, what sturgeon eat for dinner...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
plumb2fish said:
It says not to mutilate them. so fish them whole...a great little "secret" for sturgeon above the falls on the Willy

*DING*!!!!!! There you go! No kidding....

D
Drew9870
Got off the phone about an hour ago, kinda pi$$ed me off since she was reading right from the book when I specifically asked for somebody extremely familar with the regs.

She read me the line a few times that you can use dead, preserved and yadda yadda fish and not Goldfish, and said that it would specify if there were any rules against using game fish, I asked so I can even use Salmon, she said yes, as long as it is dead and not a goldfish or Lamprey, I am ok to use anything.

Sweeeeet!

S
SNDSLGR
Just curious, why? With so many cheap, easy to find great baits why bother?

D
Drew9870
SNDSLGR said:
Just curious, why? With so many cheap, easy to find great baits why bother?

Well, why not? ;)

When you have no job (will work for tackle!), cheap can be too much, lol. Trout meat has more desirable oils in it I believe, plus, pellet heads are easy to find, and they are free, and there is no shortage of them, so it is not like I am creating any impact on the evironment by using hatchery fish, which I already assume you didn't have this thought.

My main reason is because I think the meat is more desirable than any other freshwater fish, I have used a lot of different fillets on the Willamette, none have gave me as much luck as Trout, also, would you buy your Herring from the store while they are in season, or would you rather go have some fun and catch your bait at the same time? (If you were at the coast already)

I'm not writing up a defense :), I just really do use them for specific reasons, three Trout will last me quite a few trips since I freeze them and I feel that each time they sit out, they only get better!

Last edited:
M
Moe
Hey you never know what the next killer bait is. I have seen dog Sh*t boilies on the internet. You have to try new things.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Moe said:
Hey you never know what the next killer bait is. I have seen dog Sh*t boilies on the internet. You have to try new things.

Wow. That's just unbelievable. I stepped in a pile the other day and could have sold them my jeans for a profit it was such a goddamn mess.

G
GDBrown
Bad Tuna said:
Shad are not game fish, that's the difference.

Let's take a closer look at the regs......

from the 2011 regs, Pg 8

"Game Fish Are defined as follows: Trout, salmon when taken by angling, steelhead, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bluegill,
crappie, other sunfish, catfish, walleye, yellow perch, hybrid bass (white x striped cross), whitefish, sturgeon
and shad when taken by angling, mullet, grayling and striped bass."

It depends on how you obtained them, as these species are commonly raised commercially and so the are only considered game fish when caught (taken) by angling.....

As long as they are not fresh caught I don't think you will have a problem using trout to fish for another species of fish. Which by the way you never did mention what you intended to fish for with trout fillets!

Y
youngbuck307
I can think of a few things that swim arournd eating any dead crap in the water... Some get really big too lol

D
Drew9870
Hmmm, I didn't specify what I would be using them to fish for, but it is just a little ironic that this is in the Sturgeon section :D.

D
Drew9870
youngbuck307 said:
I can think of a few things that swim arournd eating any dead crap in the water... Some get really big too lol

Ya, I think the word your looking for is ''Fish''.

M
Moe
Ive even tried chunks of trout for surfperch once for a couple hours, I got a good bite but no hookup.

O
OnTheFly
youngbuck307 said:
Com'on Tom...don't try to start up that Carp stuff again...you know what happened last time.:D

M
Moe
OnTheFly said:
Com'on Tom...don't try to start up that Carp stuff again...you know what happened last time.:D

I dont think carp would eat trout fillets.

O
OnTheFly
Moe said:
I dont think carp would eat trout fillets.
A member told me once that carp can be taught to eat Cheetos.

M
Moe
ya but that is a bread/ wheat product so they would eat that but not meat. I would bet that you can't get a carp to eat hotdogs or pieces of fish, unless it is starved or something.