Trouble with regulations

portlandrain
portlandrain
Hey there,

I'm excited to go looking for some cutthroat in the upstream areas of the Nehalem river (birkenfeld/Jewell/Mist areas) and would also like to give it a try on the Wilson, along Highway 6. That river looks gorgeous, I'm sure the trout are just as nice in there.

The regulations are super confusing not know exactly where the different bridges and what not are.

Am I correct that both of those areas can be fished for C/R starting on May 22nd?

Also, on that note. I plan to wade/walk/fish on the Nehalem like I used to as a kid, it's pretty shallow up in that area with the occasional deep pocket. Pretty easy to walk right down the middle of the river and fish as ya go. How is the Wilson in that regard?

troutdude
troutdude
It looks like, both rivers do open--for trout--on May 22. But I'm not sure where you may have seen, catch & release (although that is always a good practice, to have). The Zone regs appear to allow, 2 keepers per day.

It also appears that the Nehalem, is artificial flies & lures only. But that bait is allowed, in the Wilson.

Does anyone see anything differently?

portlandrain
portlandrain
Oh, maybe I read about C/R for another area. I'll likely do that anyway. Just love catching those wild trout. So much fun. I would be using spinners and whatnot, live bait wont be an issue.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I always start with the Zone Regs and then move to Exceptions.

NW zone regs for trout are 2 per day in streams, only one of those can be over 20" and rainbows over 16" are defined as steelhead and must follow those rules (wild must be released, 2 hatchery can be retained per day in some locations and dates). Also no bait above tidewater from the opening on May 22 to Aug 31.

Wilson exceptions:
101 bridge to south fork: use of bait allowed and open for hatchery steelhead all year.
south fork to deadline near MP1: open for hatchery steelhead Jan1-March31 and Dec1-Dec31.

Nehalem exceptions: lots of locational specific salmon and steelhead rules but none that would change the trout zone regs, so if you avoid the parts that are Closed to all angling and release all rainbows over 16" and don't use bait between May 22 and Aug31, should be fine if you follow the zone trout regs.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
As far as fishing on the Wilson - there are some shallow riffles you can wade down the center of the river, but mostly it's a series of deep, deep runs/pools that you won't be walking through - you'll be sticking to the edges and tail outs for wading.

B
Big3d
The nehalem seems much easier to access below 26, spruce run area, I have never fished above the hwy but my best cuttie came out of the nehalem.

portlandrain
portlandrain
Big3d said:
The nehalem seems much easier to access below 26, spruce run area, I have never fished above the hwy but my best cuttie came out of the nehalem.

Oh see, and I've never really fished that far toward the ocean. I'm used to fishing way upstream from there.

D
DrTheopolis
On the Wilson, you won't be wading down the middle. Mostly channels in canyons. But where it goes in the little canyons, you can hike up above pretty easily for most of it. You can hike for miles down most of it.