Trolling at Hagg Saturday Sept 25

J
jaxworks
Hadn't had the boat out in a month cause of honeydos so took it out to Hagg Sat PM. Was a weird day for me cause I have never caught a catfish at Hagg and today caught 2 nice big ones...trolling in the middle of the lake with worms and powerbait. Ended up with some nice trout also.:)
Tried DipsyDivers for the first time instead of lots of weight...way cool! They take your lures right on down there and then release to neutral when you get a fish.
The day was warm with avery light breeze....perfect time.
Jaxworks:D

P
paulages
I was out there from 4 until sunset in the orange and white fiberform hardtop. We didn't get much until the sun started to set, then we got a burst of rainbow catches, all on the small side though. We were trolling in 30' or so of water with one lure towards the top and another towards the bottom. Both were hitting about the same.

What kind of weight are you using to keep your lure at the bottom, and at what speed?

J
jaxworks
Hagg Lake Saturday

Hagg Lake Saturday

paulages said:
I was out there from 4 until sunset in the orange and white fiberform hardtop. We didn't get much until the sun started to set, then we got a burst of rainbow catches, all on the small side though. We were trolling in 30' or so of water with one lure towards the top and another towards the bottom. Both were hitting about the same.

What kind of weight are you using to keep your lure at the bottom, and at what speed?

I was using a 2 to 3 ounce banana weight but I found the Dipsey Divers worked much better. You don't have to let out so much line as the diver goes down at a steep angle to the bottom (or where ever you stop it) Was using a short small set of fenders (one with round blades and one with longer eliptical blades) a 2 foot leader with any color wedding ring using worms or powerbait worked equally well) was working north of the bouys in 25 to 40 feet of water and trolling very slow.
I try to go out on Fridays so if you want to come along let me know. 971-404-5111

P
paulages
I'll probably take you up on that! I'm trying to re-learn fishing after 25 years, and the learning curve to actually catch anything feel steep. fished the multnomah channel this evening north of the S.I. bridge, but got nothing but some nibbles. I was fishing a drop shot with a 3.5" tube in 15-25' of water around some plyons. One kept taking the tube and running with it, but i couldn't hook him...

J
jaxworks
Fishing at Hagg

Fishing at Hagg

paulages said:
I'll probably take you up on that! I'm trying to re-learn fishing after 25 years, and the learning curve to actually catch anything feel steep. fished the multnomah channel this evening north of the S.I. bridge, but got nothing but some nibbles. I was fishing a drop shot with a 3.5" tube in 15-25' of water around some plyons. One kept taking the tube and running with it, but i couldn't hook him...

I am a Wyoming transplant, always owned a boat and fished there even tho there are few lakes..finally bought myself a boat last year and am learning also. Have been to Green Peter for the kokes, Detroit for the trout and live in Hillsboro so Hagg is close. Want to learn the rivers and different lakes. Am semi-retired so have long weekends. Maybe we can help each other.:)
Allen

T
Thuggin4Life
Sounds like a good day for everyone. Glad you got that boat out again i can't remember the last time i had my boat in th water. oh wait it was the day i lost a $1100 dollar motor in july. yeah you guys had a way better day. Divers sure are a great invention.

P
paulages
jaxworks said:
I am a Wyoming transplant, always owned a boat and fished there even tho there are few lakes..finally bought myself a boat last year and am learning also. Have been to Green Peter for the kokes, Detroit for the trout and live in Hillsboro so Hagg is close. Want to learn the rivers and different lakes. Am semi-retired so have long weekends. Maybe we can help each other.:)
Allen

Sounds like a plan! I live right above Swan Island in Portland if you want to give Sturgeon fishing a go. I just need to buy an anchor buoy for the boat and I'll be ready for the dinasaurs.. :D

P
paulages
Going to Hagg tomorrow afternoon. Anyone gonna be there?

J
jaxworks
paulages said:
Going to Hagg tomorrow afternoon. Anyone gonna be there?

I have 3 day weekends (Fri/Sat?Sun) so I won't be there. I am picking up my new 4 stroke trolling motor this Friday to get set up for some upper Columbia steelhead fishing later on. Good luck and let us know how you did.....watch the shallow stuff north of the bouys. I left some nice tackle over there!!:(

P
paulages
Well, I went, I saw, but can't quite say I conquered...

We spent a little while trolling throught the old creekbed in the middle of the lake, focusing on areas where the fishfinder was showing activity. We had three different rigs out at different depths. I had a diver keeping a spinner down deep, which caught a 10" rainbow. Funny catch though, as I saw it bite, grabbed the rod, set the hook, then started reeling it in and decided there was nothing on there and left it out. 15 minutes later I bring the line in to change the lure, and lo and behold there's a fish on there! guess that a definite downside to the old divers that don't trip when you get a bite.

We cast around the rocks by the dam for a bit with no bites, then headed to the steep banks just north of the east side of the dam. I caught a couple smallies on a drop shot setup with a 3.5" outlaw tube, but then the bite went dry.

I didn't get skunked at least, but out of three people I was the only person to even get a bite, let alone catch anything. In any case, you can't really beat sitting on a lake drinking beer, so no one complained...