Trillium Lake ice fishing for trout

F
FRITZFRITZFRITZ
I hiked in the 2 +miles in 10'' of new snow to ice fish Trillium lake. the ice was thick enough all right but had the slushy layer between the two layers of ice, was kinda creepy at first but I had a time of it getting threw the second layer of ice, it's safe there was 6''-8'' under 20'' of slush with 3'' of good ice on top.

I got a bite less than 5 minutes of chiseling the hole open and got my limit in 3 hrs, nice fish too, caught and released sever and lost a few and busted off my 4 lbs Tess once, 8''-17'' rainbow trout. started raining at 2:30 pm and I hiked out with a 35lb pack and fishing gear in 1.25 hrs. Good day of ice fishing! :)

Trillium Lake ice fishing

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sounds like you had a great time and were rewarded for all the effort. I love Trillium lake in the summer... but never have been a fan of the cold.

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for your report Fritz. What seemed to be the hot bait for you?

F
FRITZFRITZFRITZ
'Hot bait' - ice crappie jig, big or small, tipped with night crawlers.

D
DrTheopolis
You hiked in to Trillium lake to ice fish? You sir, are hardcore.

F
FRITZFRITZFRITZ
Trillium Lake ice fishing!

''hardcore'' Well not even close for a Minnesota boy, now theres some hardcore fishermen.

F
FRITZFRITZFRITZ

Trillium Lake ice fishing​

Ice fishing Trillium Lake 3-27-2014.

Trillium Lake ice fishing

Last edited:
M
michael_g
Super duper! Thanks for the report. Those big en's look nice! You all have a good en !

T
TimberTodd
Nice fish Fritz. Thanks for posting the pics.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nice job FRITZ! sounds like fun with just enough dangerous to make it worth doing...

F
FRITZFRITZFRITZ
Last ice at Trillium Lake

Just some trout pics from Trillium Lake for you to enjoy!

Last ice at Trillium Lake