Transporting fresh catch

USCGAUXHinkle
how do you guys get your fish home? do you kill it, bleed it, ice it, get it home and gut it? gut it before you leave...?
 
JeannaJigs
USCGAUXHinkle said:
how do you guys get your fish home? do you kill it, bleed it, ice it, get it home and gut it? gut it before you leave...?

Bonk 'em, bleed it, ice it. Always. If it's a short drive home, I'll gut it at home, if it's a long drive, do it before I leave. If it's a winter fish, no need for ice, just rope it over the side of the boat and leave it in the water, but summer fish, always ice.
 
SantiamDrifter
Bleed, and put in cooler with ice.
 
mgdguy
Kodiak said:
Bonk, bleed, run up the hill throw in my fridge, go get two more.

Keep that to yourself man, that's just mean :lol:
 
bigdog
I think he is talking about being close enough to just run it up to the fridge. Not all of us live on a river bank Phil :lol:

CJ
 
Mike123
Bonk, bleed, leave on bank to cook a little, then wash off dirt, then throw in back of rig to cook a little longer, get home and it's ready to eat. :D
 
bigdog
Mike123 said:
Bonk, bleed, leave on bank to cook a little, then wash off dirt, then throw in back of rig to cook a little longer, get home and it's ready to eat. :D
Now thats some all natral way of cooking it right there.
 
youngbuck307
Im i the only one that lets them bleed befor the bonk???? whats the point of bleeding it when you kill it with a shot to the head...
 
Thuggin4Life
I like to just rip the gills and then give it a small bonk just to make it flop a little less. usually just a fist to the side of the head does the trick. no need to bonk bonk bonk then try to bleed. rip gills small bonking then ice. I gut at home so i can save the guts/carcas for the crabs.
 
steelhead_stalkers
The heart still pumps for a few minutes after it is bonked so all of the blood can be pumped out after bonking it.
 
USCGAUXHinkle
ok, so if i were to kill it, bleed it, stick it in the water or hang it on a tree or something, fish for a few hours, go to the store and get a bag of ice and throw it in the ice chest, i can wait til i'm home to gut it? i live about 40 minutes from the fishing hole.
 
Thuggin4Life
Just try not to let the fish get really warm with all the guts inside and you will be fine.
 
SantiamDrifter
yeah, unless its really hot out with warm water. but right now you will be fine
 
youngbuck307
O yea you will be way ok I do the same thing some times when i forget my knife!
 
USCGAUXHinkle
cool! thanks guys. i've always wanted to show my family the actual catch, not just the gutted torso lol. i really appreciate your guys' help.
 
OnTheFly
lmao. Come on guys bonk then bleed. Bonking first eliminates all the flopping around and it will bleed out just fine. We did it in that order up in K-Kan. Besides, how would you like it if someone cut your throat then killed you later.:shock::D
 
USCGAUXHinkle
OnTheFly said:
lmao. Come on guys bonk then bleed. Bonking first eliminates all the flopping around and it will bleed out just fine. We did it in that order up in K-Kan. Besides, how would you like it if someone cut your throat then killed you later.:shock::D

lol great point! besides, i've been hurt pretty good trying to take hooks out of a flopping steelhead. those things are POWERFUL!
 
OnTheFly
USCGAUXHinkle said:
lol great point! besides, i've been hurt pretty good trying to take hooks out of a flopping steelhead. those things are POWERFUL!

They sure are and they really get ticked off. Also, about the fish transport thing, you can wrap the fish up in a wet towel and it keeps them cool without ice for awhile. I had to use my shirt once but I don't recommend that if you don't have too.:D
 
USCGAUXHinkle
OnTheFly said:
They sure are and they really get ticked off. Also, about the fish transport thing, you can wrap the fish up in a wet towel and it keeps them cool without ice for awhile. I had to use my shirt once but I don't recommend that if you don't have too.:D
lol my first ever steelhead i had to use my shirt... it sucked. well, actually it was someone else's shirt that got left in my car. i guess the lesson there is don't leave stuff in my car lol.
 
808steelheader
Just checking... is it legal to clean your fish then throw the guts in the river?
 
Top Bottom