To flash or not to flash?

F
flipper
Been noticing the majority of guys out on the Slaw/Qua are running flashers with their cut-plugs.

Question stands:

Who swears by flashers, and who finds no value to it?

Although I'm a first-year salmon fisher, I've never used a flasher and have caught 3-4 out of my four trips. Seems, to me; that flashers are useless but it seems many swear by it (along with their surgical gloves).

What say you OFF'ers? :think:

P
plumb2fish
Lots of pressure...no flash....little pressure flasher up is what I've done...it does suck on the snaggy slaw to lose a $25 set up.....I think its what you feel confident in

F
flipper
Haha had a greenie join us and snagged a log/rock and fought him for about 2 mins before we convinced. Agreed though, seems flasher/no flasher produces the same from my experience.

D
DB Crouper
Of 4 takedowns on 2 rods Sunday, the no flasher rod had 3 of the bites. Haven't seen that they help, and know 2 reputable guides who fish the Umpqua and Siuslaw a lot, and never use flashers. I no longer use them there, but still use them in the ocean. The spin is the most important thing by far.

F
flipper
DB Crouper said:
and know 2 reputable guides who fish the Umpqua and Siuslaw a lot, and never use flashers.

Very interesting, as I've seen most guides using flashers. Almost wonder if those who use flashers as guides use them as "bait" to suggest more bites....

J
JeannaJigs
I love me some flashers. I've had most luck WITH them...and I rock the surgical gloves always, because I don't like bait hands, and I steal them from work for the price of free. Simple logic. So far, knock on wood, I've never lost a flasher set up. Come close, but never sealed the deal.

T
Thuggin4Life
Both have there time and place. And its up to you to decide. I run them most of the time but its also nice to have multiple rods in the boat rigged up slightly different. Best ruke of thumb is you can't catch fish from the couch.... well except for the guys in the party barges.

R
Razz
Make your own flasher's plastic, heat gun or (old hair dryer) platic cutter ,reflective mylar tape (hobby shop) .Found plastic scrap at a local glass shop almost free, some smoked fish and done deal. Ball bearing swivels we're the cost ,mylar $1.00 sheet 8x12" and labor.

C_Run
C_Run
I personally don't know the answer but we went on the Columbia with a guide this year. He said they used to catch just as many salmon before all the flashers came into use. However, he uses them all the time now. ??? Go figure.

D
DYJ
No flashers on the Slaw and flashers on the Umpqua.... Just the way we've always done it. I prefer not to use them cause of how much of a mess they can create

G
GDBrown
OK, I've used them some in the past but always in saltwater (Puget Sound)or on the Columbia but never at the coast. When you do use them what size are you using and with what bait or lure on the end of the leader?

R
RunWithSasquatch
GDBrown said:
OK, I've used them some in the past but always in saltwater (Puget Sound)or on the Columbia but never at the coast. When you do use them what size are you using and with what bait or lure on the end of the leader?

Ive seen everything from a 4" all the way up to the big 12inchers... Some people stack two smaller ones.
I like the 8inchers.

Mostly herring bait, plug cut, ive seen spinners behind a flasher, but have never used it my self- and dont like the look of it.

For springers in the willamette we trolled green lables.

Fallies take greens, but I think bigger is better. Blues/purples in my opinion are good for fallies.

A
alseaalumaweld
all about water color. you dont need them if water clear.