My son and I...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
seem to be picking up right where we were last September, with SteelmonKiller20 joining us on a nice sunny day, we happened upon this 25# buck just after high tide (cut-plug herring, no flasher, trolling very slow)....added a nice Jack later on that we thought was a coho, leatherman ready for an in-water release, then Steelmon noticed the large spots and quickly netted it for me!

still seems to be a slow and sporadic bite on the Slaw, fish spread out here and there, should just keep getting better from here on though...cheers, roger

H
hydropsyche
Nice going I can't wait to do that with my Pops. I get a little bored after trolling and insist to cast a fly at pods of coho this year he is actually talking about doing just that one day it will work. Thanks for the reports and dads that take there kids out even old kids.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
:thumb: hopefully they will still be biting next week when i get back out there.

O
OnTheDrop
Was a fun morning Roger... Now if only that third one would have stuck!...

can't wait to get you in the drift boat when it starts raining...

Cheers bud!

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
Glad to see you getting into some fish, I know you've been working at it!

E
eugene1
Looks to be picking up, good for you guys!

Irishrover
Irishrover
That looks like fun and no big mass of boats to dal with. What do you guys use to get down to the fish with divers or lead ?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Irishrover said:
That looks like fun and no big mass of boats to dal with. What do you guys use to get down to the fish with divers or lead ?

fishing depth here in the river ranges from 15' to 25', depending on tide and location, so cannon ball weights are used by almost everyone, 4oz or 6oz most common.

weekdays not too bad, weekends very busy. and we have had a population explosion with regard to guide boats. cheers, roger

Irishrover
Irishrover
Some of the folks up here are using 16 to 20 ounces of lead to get down to the fish. When they bring their gear up out of the water on a rocking boat that 20 ounces of lead can turn into a wrecking ball. :yikes: It is an effective method of fishing though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we saw a few fish caught this morning and did put another chinook on my son's tag! (just a bit over 24, so we tagged it just to be safe..:hi: )

much more crowded today... :frown: I do not expect much of a bite on Friday, my suggestion is skip it and fish the weekend! :thumb:

N
new2hogs
Very nice.

rogerdodger said:
seem to be picking up right where we were last September, with SteelmonKiller20 joining us on a nice sunny day, we happened upon this 25# buck just after high tide (cut-plug herring, no flasher, trolling very slow)....added a nice Jack later on that we thought was a coho, leatherman ready for an in-water release, then Steelmon noticed the large spots and quickly netted it for me!

still seems to be a slow and sporadic bite on the Slaw, fish spread out here and there, should just keep getting better from here on though...cheers, roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hot east wind Friday already brisk at sunrise and it just got stronger all morning long, river churned up and off color....yuck.

this is the "Jumbo Jack" that we tagged on Thursday, 25" long and almost 8 pounds, looks like a small springer....too bad this big boy didn't stay out for another year!

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
.too bad this big boy didn't stay out for another year!

But i bet he will still taste just as good....:D

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
my son headed back to UW on Friday (Go Cougs!) for his final year of Grad. school after we had another nice September trolling the Siuslaw- some great days out with friends from OFF, several skunk days paying our dues to the river but in the end we put 2 kings and our biggest coho ever on his tag (he also lost a nice king at the boat after a good fight), we boated 3 chinook jacks, and he put my 'Dragon' in the net like a guide the first chance it presented. cheers, roger

O
OnTheDrop
Irishrover said:
Some of the folks up here are using 16 to 20 ounces of lead to get down to the fish. When they bring their gear up out of the water on a rocking boat that 20 ounces of lead can turn into a wrecking ball. :yikes: It is an effective method of fishing though.

Oh yeah, I took a 12ozer to the cheek last week in Nehalem!

My buddy got knocked out at buoy10 last year by a 16er to the head. Scary stuff... If ppl can remember to pull out line right when the fish is netted. Lol

O
OnTheDrop
Nice job Paul and Rodg!