throwing spinners for chinook

brandon4455

brandon4455

all the years i have been salmon fishing i have only caught them on spinners in tidewater and not the flowing portion of the river. i figure i am doing somthing wrong. is there a certain technique for spinner fishing for chinook in the river? do you add extra weight? what water is best to use them in? thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

eat, sleep, fish

I don't add any extra weight, and pretty much drift fish them. Reel just fast enough to not get snagged up. If you think you're reeling slow enough, reel even slower.

Then again I've also caught them on the swing too.

M

metalfisher76

In deeper pools I`ll add some weight. Just like yer driftin and I`ll go up/over 3' of leader here. Yep, slow is not slow enough, most days. Go bigger for faster water and smaller for slower deeper stuff....most days. I`ll rarely throw smaller than a 5 unless it`s super low and clear, or small water to start:)

Y

youngbuck307

Hold on to ur spinners till water is above 48 until then toss bait at them. That higher water temp makes them more active and willing to bend the heck out of a
spinner... And seen from 7s to 3s catch nooks..

S

SantiamDrifter

Size 5 silver spinners and size 5 gold spinners on the north. When it gets low and clear we'll hook a few on black spinners when we toss those for steelhead.

troutdude

troutdude

All black #3's on the Siletz had killed Nooks for me.

And if you don't lose a couple of spinners per outing...you're not deep n' slow enough w/ 'em.

You can buy components and make your own, to reduce the cost of losing 'em. Don Green @ Fisherman Shack is your go to guy for parts n' smarts (He is VERY knowledgeable and helpful). He's about 10 miles south of Monmouth @ Hwy. 99 and Airlie Road.

Fisherman's Shack

Top Bottom