Thuggin4Life
Troutier Bassier said:
Yep!
Reynolds is $32Mil in Debt.

Reynolds high in troutdale?

F
fishnquest
TTFishon said:
Introduced from where? From what I have read they are native to this region. Do you have information stating otherwise? I might change my tune a little then.

I read a story on website "friends of the eel river" a couple years ago. They have re-built that site since then and are working on re-establishing broken links. It was about how the pikeminnow got into the eel river watershed system. They are not native here and are a major part of the absolute disaster that the eel river watershed system is today. They have no major predators going after them (besides me). They multiply like crazy and love steelhead smolt. They are great at ambushing the smolt in small places. They are invasive and will literally completely take over a river. I can't imagine it could be so different there. PLease don't let this happen to your steelhead rivers. If I ever find that link, I will post it. In the mean time, join me and get rid of those %*!!#@*!! things!

Reactions: OnTheFly
F
Fishtopher
a lot of people seem misinformed about these fish. They are native, to the Columbia, there is just too many of them.

Northern squawfish, Ptychocheilus oregonensis, are well-known predators of juvenile salmonids, Oncorhynchus spp., in Pacific Northwest rivers (Ricker 1941, Thompson 1959, Wydoski and Whitney 1979), and concentrations of these fish near hydroelectric projects on the Columbia and Snake Rivers (Fig. 1) are documented (Raymond et al. 1975, Beamesderfer and Rieman 1991). Large concentrations of squawfish near hydroelectric projects prey on salmonids (Rieman et al. 1991) and may reduce fish guidance efficiency of submersible traveling screens (Gessel et al. 1991). Predation can be substantial: Uremovich et al. (1981) estimated 3.8 million juvenile salmonids were consumed in Bonneville Dam forebay during the 1980 outmigration by an estimated peak squawfish population of more than 18,000. Observations at Bonneville Dam First Powerhouse (Fig. 1) indicate that there are large concentrations of squawfish immediately upstream from the dam (forebay area) from June to August each year.

Northern squawfish concentrations at hydroelectric projects on the Columbia River are a product of an artificial condition. Decreases in salmon populations may be partially related to the apparent increased northern squawfish population between 1980 (Uremovich et al. 1981) and 1989 (18,000 to > 50,000) at Bonneville Dam. The timing of northern squawfish spawning and changes in juvenile salmonid migration periods in the vicinity of Bonneville Dam may exacerbate predation problems.

So ya, theres a human element as part of the problem regarding dams. But thats why there is a bounty on them in the Columbia River.

If you float the Sandy or Clack this time of year, with the low clear flows, its CRAZY how many of these fish are in there. Thousands upon thousands.

Northern squawfish predation on juvenile salmonids was characterized during 1992 at ten locations in the Columbia River below Bonneville Dam and at three locations in John Day Reservoir. During the spring and summer, 1,487 northern squawfish were collected in the lower Columbia River and 202 squawfish were sampled in John Day Reservoir. Gut content data, predator weight, and water temperature were used to compute a consumption index (CI) for northern squawfish, and overall diet was also described. In the Columbia River below Bonneville Dam, northern squawfish diet was primarily fish (spring 69%; summer 53%), most of which were salmonids. Salmonids were also the primary diet component in the Bonneville Dam tailrace, John Day Dam forebay, and the McNary Dam tailrace. Crustaceans were the dominant diet item at the John Day mid-reservoir location, although sample sizes were small. About half of the non-salmonid preyfish were sculpins.
They are part of the problem, I can be a part of the solution.
(sorry, no links...forgot 'em.)

Reactions: OnTheFly
T
Troutier Bassier
Reynolds School District got Budget Cuts.
Now we have 8 Classes. 45 Minutes Each. And NO FOOTBALL. :mad:
Plus they cut 14 or something Teachers.

T
Thuggin4Life
I used to live behind reynolds high. didn't know that was the name of the whole district. but yeah ever since they started cutting back in the timber industry the had to start cutting bck in the schools. but for some reason no one can figure out the connection.

T
Troutier Bassier
They make pencils out of Wood. :lol:

F
FishSchooler
TTFishon said:
OK I will rephrase. Pikeminnow, trout, and steelhead will eat smolts, eggs, and anything else they come across. They eat way much more too..
So what do you mean "anything else they come across. They eat way much more too." Pikeminnow are part of the ecosystem just as any other living being is. Sure they eat fish eggs but so do trout and steelhead. They eat smolts but so do trout and steelhead so what is your point?

Steelhead, salmon, and trout don't eat smolts, because:
1. They are already spawned out or dead.
2. They don't really feed in fresh water.

The steelhead, salmon and trout also start the chain for the salmonids... PM's just make it a lot worse.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Reynolds School District got Budget Cuts.
Now we have 8 Classes. 45 Minutes Each. And NO FOOTBALL. :mad:
Plus they cut 14 or something Teachers.

Link? Evidence? From what I've read they are only over 3 mil in the red, not 32 mil.

S
steelhead_stalkers
TTFishon said:
Introduced from where? From what I have read they are native to this region. Do you have information stating otherwise? I might change my tune a little then.

Some rivers they are native I believe but there are others that they were introduced. I will try to find some facts on the matter. It looks like a quick search turned up that the Rogue River basin has pike minnows that are non native. If they are a native fish they should be left alone but if they were introduced they should be removed.

T
TTFishon
steelhead_stalkers said:
Some rivers they are native I believe but there are others that they were introduced. I will try to find some facts on the matter. It looks like a quick search turned up that the Rogue River basin has pike minnows that are non native. If they are a native fish they should be left alone but if they were introduced they should be removed.

That's how I feel too. It looks like Fishtopher has the facts about pikeminnow and why they are so abundant.