Thinking about purchasing a new float rod

T
TimberTodd
I am currently using a 8'6" rod with a Pflueger Presindent spinning reel for float fishing. I have read that a longer rod makes mending and controlling your line easier, so I am thinking about purchasing a 9'6" or 10'6" spinning rod. Is the Okuma SST a decent rod? I am trying to stay under $100.
Todd

A
alseaalumaweld
10,6 cert pro lami 6-10 hands down!

R
RunWithSasquatch
You can get a G200 Lami for around 100 bucks... limited 1 year warranty though. Make a 10-6 model.

SST is plenty decent enough!

A
alseaalumaweld
lami all the way cert pro life time warnty rod will last you for ever. its 5 times the rod a sst is

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yeah, well show him where to get one for 100 bucks

troutdude
troutdude
Okuma SST's are excellent rods for your money (i.e. value).

IMHO, Lami's are highly over rated. Also, back in the 80's one broke merely by casting a spinner...just above the handle. The frickin' Lami peeps refused to replace my rod--even with a "lifetime" guarantee. I have never bought another new lami since then. I also think that they are too expensive, for what you get.

And yeah...go 10'6" so you can high stick your OFFering.

A
alseaalumaweld
lami is great great people! allways treated me rite and everone i know. ya cert pros 240 but worth the money

C
capblack
i bought the sst for myself for christmas, but i have yet to use it :( but i have other okumas and i agree with getting a lot for the money. i will buy okuma until one lets me down, and they havent yet ;)

A
alseaalumaweld
i got one sst paid 30 bucks for it. is allrite for the price but id save my pennys for a lami. just my 2cents

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for everyones input. I saw the Wright Mcgill rods at BiMart marked down from $100 to $70. They have the split grip handles. I have that style on my bass rods which I like, but I'm not sure if I would like it on a longer/larger rod. I wish I had the budget for a Lamiglas or G Loomis, but thats not in the cards right now.
Todd

R
RunWithSasquatch
Hey Todd, for 70 dollars, I would say that W&M would be as good a buy you will find, unless you get a used rod. Will BiMart warrenty those rods?

H
halibuthitman
I would buy the wright and mcgill if I was looking for a plug rod, the sst is a good walking rod, I have caught about 6 fish in the 17-25 lb range in the last month on my steelhead spin, 2 were chromer nooks, the rod held up and did fine-

H
halibuthitman
alseaalumaweld said:
lami is great great people! allways treated me rite and everone i know. ya cert pros 240 but worth the money

then why were you fishing nooks with a broom handle on your thread last nite...cert pro's can't handle salty nooks?

F
fishindude
You might also consider the Okuma Guide Select models , they come with a lifetime warranty . I like mine as much as I like my Lami Certified Pros. And you can get them for $100.00 or less . Just my 2 cents worth .

R
RunWithSasquatch
halibuthitman said:
I would buy the wright and mcgill if I was looking for a plug rod

They have a 10'6'' 4-8# rod designed for float fishing.

H
halibuthitman
RunWithSasquatch said:
They have a 10'6'' 4-8# rod designed for float fishing.

wow... nice, they build a great glass plug rod, and I have 3 of their flyrods spanning 15 years... I love that rod maker-

H
halibuthitman
fishindude said:
You might also consider the Okuma Guide Select models , they come with a lifetime warranty . I like mine as much as I like my Lami Certified Pros. And you can get them for $100.00 or less . Just my 2 cents worth .

I will probably buy 2 of these next month... kinda exited to try one.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I will also say that I think the Berekely IM8's deserve more love then what they get. A lot of people like the SST's, but Ive had a lot of good experiences with the Ramsey line as far as affordable fishing rods go.

H
halibuthitman
RunWithSasquatch said:
I will also say that I think the Berekely IM8's deserve more love then what they get. A lot of people like the SST's, but Ive had a lot of good experiences with the Ramsey line as far as affordable fishing rods go.
the ramseys turn guys off by having that traditional 1985 taper, guys feel like they are holding an old, or cheap rod... new sportsmen seem to demand thin tapers.. Ive seen the im8's catch a lot of fish-

W
waco
RunWithSasquatch said:
X2 I loved my berkley before I got couple of the shimano clarus for $100 after rebate!!