Swinging room on the weekend?

R
redhawk50
Any good ideas or suggestions on places to swing for steelhead on the weekends? The few places I have gone I usually go early and get one swing of run in and then it is filled up behind me by others who are not fly fishing and sit in one spot. I am all about sharing water and do my best to hike back and get away from the crowds and won't swing or disrupt others, but with work I only have the weekends to fish and am having issues finding water. Suggestions? Ideas? Besides getting up early, because I have already tried that and can get one or two runs in before people show up.
THANKS! Oh yah, Portland Area :)

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Have you been to Oxbow Park? (Sandy River) I saw a couple of guys swining spey rods by the YMCA Camp last Friday and they were the only ones there. I know that's not the weekend but there is a lot of room there. It' between river mile 9 and 10. Just down from where Big Creek dumps in to the Sandy across the river. Forget Dodge Park on the weekend and the same for the Garbage hole up river. I hope others here can come up with other locations. I don't fish the Clackamas or Eagle Creek so I'm no help there.

F
FishFinger
further up the Sandy you could try above Cedar creek. Starting at hell hole and up to just below the revenue bridge pools. There's a plethora of flow combinations to work through and plenty of area around you to cast. Most folks pitchin baits and such usually don't wander up past the creek slots so even on weekends you can usually have that stretch of the river to yourself.

C
Catch 22
I'm going to suggest the Sandy again. I don't fish it much, as the Clack is my home river. Wherever you go, try to find some other flyfishers. The Sandy has 10 times more than the Clack.

Sometimes you will get into a run with fly swingers that actually understand how to move down and cover water. The key is to communicate friendly like as you arrive and watch for a minute and see what others are doing. I try to start at the top of the run. Usually moving down at the pace set by those below me that were there first. Sometimes there will be someone that doesn't move. I will ask them if they mind me sliding past them. I pretty much plan on doing it anyway, I just like people to know my intentions and give them a chance to slide down first.

I never try to swing flies around gear fishermen. I do gear fish as well, just not in a run full of Orvis clad dudes.

The moral is "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Oh and if you really want to hit the Clack, try Barton Park and McIver Park.
McIver does well in the summer. Hit me up then and I will show you some spots! Some great water there, just not yet.

Jason

R
redhawk50
Thanks for all the advice. I usually do the Oxbow area and have been all over the river in that general area and there are plenty of good runs to swing. I think I will try it out this Saturday and see how crowded it does get.

If I do see another person swinging I always make sure it is OK to start the run above them. In general I have never had an issue with another fisherman no matter how they are fishing. I have been at Oxbow on the run by the boat ramp and have had spin casters wait till I moved by and then they filled in behind me. So I was generally just looking to see if there were other locations.

Thanks again for the help! I am going to set two alarms so I get out Saturday morning!

Cheers!

R
redhawk50
Was out at Oxbow this morning. Got on the water around 8:30, needed some sleep. Most of the runs were occupied so I had to fiddle around in not so productive water. Tried some nymphing around rocks until the rocks stole all my flies then as I was heading back an nice guy spinning let me swing the run by him while he took a break. Then got to swing another run after some other people with spey rods went through.

The nice guy who let me swing through caught one native while I was in sight and said he had caught another one earlier.