Surf Perch?

B
Boywhofishes
yeah but then there are al the turtles ;) don't want to hook a turtle now do we?

C
cavdad45
Here is some helpful info. Fish the coastal rivers and inlets in late-April through mid-June when the perch come into spawn.

At low tide, catch a coffee can full of rock crabs, but none bigger than 1-1/4 inches. As the tide starts coming in, fish the crabs near the bottom. It's a killer technique.

If you plan to keep any of the spawning perch, squeeze the babies out of the mother's stomach. Most will survive since they are live-bearing fish anyway.

H
Hawk
W called them sand crabs............................................:lol::lol::lol:

F
FishSchooler
The sculpins will eat anything on the bottom before perch can where I went

L
lechner
Holy torrent sculpin, batman!

Holy torrent sculpin, batman!

Dang, I'm glad I checked out this thread because I would otherwise have no idea what sort of bizarre fish I caught in Idaho last month. Torrent sculpins are incredibly strange looking -- I actually thought it was a very juvenile channel cat but that just didn't make sense for the high elevation river I found him in. :think:

So, the girlfriend and I are planning on camping on the beach this weekend and it's been a longtime goal of mine to fish in the surf. Any suggestions for location though? We were tentatively considering Agate beach, while a coworker of mine recommended Osawald West and Nehalem state parks but I doubt beach camping is permitted.

I'm down with renting a yurt if the fishing and clamming is good (and there should be negative tides this weekend too.)

So what do you say, OFF? Where should I try surf fishing/clamming this weekend?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Dungeness Crabs in the bays

Dungeness Crabs in the bays

I don't know about clamming ( yuck! :confused: ) but I do know crabbing is good in most of the bays right now. An article on katu.com is interesting about Nehalem Bay. Good luck! Let us know how you do.
Barb

H
Hawk
lechner said:
Dang, I'm glad I checked out this thread because I would otherwise have no idea what sort of bizarre fish I caught in Idaho last month. Torrent sculpins are incredibly strange looking -- I actually thought it was a very juvenile channel cat but that just didn't make sense for the high elevation river I found him in. :think:

So, the girlfriend and I are planning on camping on the beach this weekend and it's been a longtime goal of mine to fish in the surf. Any suggestions for location though? We were tentatively considering Agate beach, while a coworker of mine recommended Osawald West and Nehalem state parks but I doubt beach camping is permitted.

I'm down with renting a yurt if the fishing and clamming is good (and there should be negative tides this weekend too.)

So what do you say, OFF? Where should I try surf fishing/clamming this weekend?

If Pileworms are sold in Oregon, buy some. They live in the sand in sloughs. Most fish love them , including Striped Bass. I used to catch Stripers up to 25 lbs mostly surf fishing by Moss Landing, CA ...............& the San Luis Forebay by the hwy 152 bridge............................:D:D:D

i usually used a 3oz sliding sinker attached to a red plastic sinker holder ( sliding ) ( 17 lb test ), then barrel swivel, then 2'-3' leader with a 2/0.......or 3/0 hook. Use a worm threader to put on Pileworm....................

Good Luck...........................................:D:D

L
lechner
Thanks for the advice, Hawk! I'm sure the gentlemen at Joe's will fill me in with more details when I buy the tackle later today. I don't even know what I would do with a 25lb fish :)

@Raincatcher: Good suggestion. Maybe I'll rent some crab pots if the clams are less than plentiful.

C
chris61182
You can also just take a shovel out on the beach with you and do a little digging. You never know what bait you might find.

F
FishSchooler
Clams are yummiful... Caught bucket fulls up in washington. Just put em on a hot but small fire and wait till they open! They are very tasty I think. Bay clams are my favorite, razor clams are ok. Razor clams make great bait in the ocean because of their HUGE neck. The ones I caught at seaside have necks like 2 inches long. Regular bay clams have one like a centimeter long.

F
fish_4_all
Sabiki rigs are supposed to killer for perch. I have not caught any on them but I have caught surf perch in the surf away from structure using a white jig with a pink head. I used a steelhead spinning outfit and about 1 ounce of lead casting as far as I could. Great fight. Caught 27 of them ne day tis summer keeping the biggest for my limit of 10.

They can be found in the long draw areas of the beach if you fish to the left or right of them. Places where you see a small wave roll about 80-120 feet out is where I target them. Best bait has always been ghost shrimp but clam necks and squid worked for me too.

I have caught a couple huge perch in the past fishing right along the rocks. Not sure what speices but were not the common surf or pile perch. I have even seen one caught that was 7 pounds. :shock: The idiot who caught it thought it would make good ling cod bait and lost it in the rocks. That boy would have been on my table.