Sunriver questions and tips?

S
Speedymaru
Hello all, I'm back. It's been a long time since I've been on this forum, I've been very busy. I live in Springfield, but I'm going on a short vacation during spring break in sunriver. Any fishing information about that place would be much appreciated. I am a spinfisher, and bank only. I have trout and bass gear, but could get some new lures if necessary. I have a fly rod and flies, but I've never actually fly fished before. I eWorld be open to giving it a shot, I just don't really know what I'm doing. I can cast fairly well, and would just need to know what patterns and where to go. How is the fishing there this time of year? Thank you very much in advance!

W
wils
is the river above benham falls open during spring break?

F
Fishpdx
there's the deschutes river which contains some of the best trout and summer steelhead, a couple lakes around their that hold bass and other species. But mostly trout ! Flies are good on deschutes but spinners work great too. and pretty sure deschutes is artifical only, no bait!

S
Speedymaru
Thank you so much for the information! A few questions though. Is there any good bank access? Also, is it open this time of year? I'm going next weekend. I will definitely fish spinners and may even bring the fly rod. Any specific lures or flies that tend to be hot? Thanks again!

W
wils
Speedymaru said:
Thank you so much for the information! A few questions though. Is there any good bank access? Also, is it open this time of year? I'm going next weekend. I will definitely fish spinners and may even bring the fly rod. Any specific lures or flies that tend to be hot? Thanks again!

Fishing regulation booklet is free when you get your fishing license.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
I'm pretty sure that section of the river doesn't open until the 22nd of May.

S
Speedymaru
I have the booklet, but I'm confused as to which part of the river I would be at. It seems to be sectioned off into parts and I'm unfamiliar with that area so I don't know which I would be at.

S
Speedymaru
Could you tell me which section that is? Thank you very much.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
If you are fishing around Sunriver you will be upstream of Benham Falls. Benham Falls upstream to Little Lava Lake is closed until May 22nd. You'll need to be in the "Bend" zone to fish the Deschutes in March. Lake Billy Chinook upstream to Benham Falls represents the zone that is open all year. Fall River is also open year round for flyfishing only - just a thought (bring your polarized glasses).

S
Speedymaru
Okay. I will be staying at a resort on center drive in sunriver. How far would I have to drive to get to a place where I could legally fish? Is the fishing at Fall River good? Thanks again

S
Speedymaru
Sorry it is actually on century drive. It looks like there might be a lake out front of the resort with fish in it

W
wils
Speedymaru said:
Okay. I will be staying at a resort on center drive in sunriver. How far would I have to drive to get to a place where I could legally fish? Is the fishing at Fall River good? Thanks again

whats the name of that lake?

S
Speedymaru
Okay thank you. Sorry I asked so many questions, I don't know anything about the area.

S
Speedymaru
I believe it's caldera springs. As I read furthers it says access is limited to owners.

W
wils
I think that youre pretty much at least an hour from anything fishable.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
Well - what's the report? Where did you end up fishing?

S
Speedymaru
Unfortunately, my family cancelled our trip. However I had a great time fishing Alton baker with my buddy's instead. We couldn't hook into any trout, but we were having a good time catching the little bullhead by the bank. I tried spinners, trout magnet, powerbait, everything I could to try and catch a trout. No one else was catching them that day either that I could see. It was still a good day