Bass and trout fishing near Sunriver

M
MNAngler
Hi,

I'm going to be vacationing in Sunriver and am looking for a spot where I can fish for bass and my brother can fish for trout. Where would you recommend that is within a half hour or so from Sunriver?

I'd be happy with one spot for both, or separate spots where we can focus on one species or the other.

Thanx in advance!

F
flyguy202011
You guys gonna be fly fishing?

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

If I recall my Central Oregon geography correctly, you will be very near the legendary Deschutes River. There are "redside" 'bows and LARGE browns in that river.

I'll have to let someone else answer your bass spots question. But, at least you'll have trout access on the "chutes". And you might close to the Crooked River too, with some big 'bows.

Here is a chutes map.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=deschutes+river&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1016&bih=597&tbm=isch&tbnid=wM_mHUyAIzBIYM:&imgrefurl=http://www.flyfishusa.com/about-our-waters/deschutes-river/basin-map/desmap.html&docid=KNfv24mgUv8dUM&w=541&h=740&ei=FUZVTpPoCYHKiALg_qHdDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=612&vpy=199&dur=1361&hovh=263&hovw=192&tx=87&ty=142&page=6&tbnh=138&tbnw=101&start=60&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:60

Good luck.

Last edited:
F
flyguy202011
If i were you i would go to Wickiup Reservoir. And if yah want to catch some bass i can't help yah unless your fly fishing!

J
JHawk
We just got back from there last night. Trout is slow in Lava and Elk Lakes. We did catch a couple of kokes jigging off the bottom at Elk Lake and at East Lake. We've never fished kokes before so we were happy with the few we caught. I wanted to try some of the short hike-in lakes around the Cultus-Lava area (Lucky, Deer, Lemish) but didn't have the time.

Last edited:
M
MNAngler
flyguy202011 said:
You guys gonna be fly fishing?

My brother will be fly fishing, but I'll be bringing a spinning reel because I'm not a fly fisherman.

M
MNAngler
If I were to go after trout with spinning gear, what would you recommend? I know one could use a rooster tail, but I don't know how successful I would be with them.

I suppose I could just bite the bullet and try my hand at fly fishing. And catch some branches.

S
steelhead_slayer
crane prairie has big bass and trout. Fly fishing and spinning outfits work there