Summer Steelhead setup?

S
SantiamDrifter
First Bite said:
I palmer all my feathers the same way. Whether it's schlappen, hackle or marabou. I think it makes for a fuller looking profile in the water.

Mark

How do you palmer your marabou. I have the hardest time with the feather. The stem of the feather is to stiff for me to wrap it back up. What type of marabou do you use. I just use the strung marabou and usually end up tying them like OTE jigs instead. But I would love to make some palmered ones. Oh and I just recieved 3 of your jigs about two weeks ago and I must say, I can't wait to try them this summer. I also plan on buying your blood red one too. Heck if you say its your favorite, it must be doing something right.

F
First Bite
I'm with you concerning palmering marabou. It definetly takes a little more finesse to palmer multiple feathers on a jig.

I use Hareline Dubbin strung marabou. I think they have some of the most consistent quality feathers available. The colors are brilliant and fluid.

There is something about blood red that fish seem to key in on. My last four winter fish were caught on a red jig and last week before the rain I got one on a metallic red plug so red can be a good producer for low, clear winter conditions too.

S
SantiamDrifter
Im all for red. I love using FL. red inside 20 or so miles from the ocean. One of the best producing plugs for me is FL. red.

As for my jigs, The last 4 jigs I've tied up got fish on almost the first cast with each. They were each different too. It might just be the hole though, as all came from the same one. Matter of fact about 10 this year came from the same hole. Its my go to hole for sure.

Do you tip your jigs? Im always concerned with the shrimp affecting the action of the feathers in the water. So I dont do it as much. But I tip my worms and its an almost sure thing.

F
fisch
I'm on the market for some good Steelhead setup and so far I like 9'6" rod in 6-10(maybe 12) range with 2000 or 2500 reel and 10lb braid. Thanks for all this tips guys.

S
SantiamDrifter
fisch said:
I'm on the market for some good Steelhead setup and so far I like 9'6" rod in 6-10(maybe 12) range with 2000 or 2500 reel and 10lb braid. Thanks for all this tips guys.

I have two 9'6'' lami I use for my float rods. They are nice, but Im deffently getting at least a 10' for my next rod. If not 10'6''

F
First Bite
SantiamDrifter said:
Im all for red. I love using FL. red inside 20 or so miles from the ocean. One of the best producing plugs for me is FL. red.

As for my jigs, The last 4 jigs I've tied up got fish on almost the first cast with each. They were each different too. It might just be the hole though, as all came from the same one. Matter of fact about 10 this year came from the same hole. Its my go to hole for sure.

Do you tip your jigs? Im always concerned with the shrimp affecting the action of the feathers in the water. So I dont do it as much. But I tip my worms and its an almost sure thing.

I'll tip my jigs with bait at times. I like the tail section of a sand shrimp or in the summer find some periwinkles and using something sharp like scissors, cut the shell open and use the hook tip to pull out the critter. Summers eat them up like candy.

Mark

B
BobberDown
i have to agree hairline is the best i have used out of about 5 other companys. and red is a grate color in the ocean it is a triger color for steelhead and salmon. its a big bite triger . in the ocean as a bate fish flees its pry its gills will flare open and shut as the start to tire and slow down. so from be hind a steelhead or salmon will start to see flashes of red as they close the distance or so i have read. i will tip jigs with shrimp to after a few drifts throw a run or evan a little glob of eggs but i dont do the egg thing often because it will ruin a good jig but with a pink worm watch out. but for summers a good jig is hard to beat i love schlappen and hackle jigs for summers mostley in red or black or oliver and a lot of 1/16 and 1/32 and a lot of micro barbell jigs to somtimes i will run a dropper with a little dime size peace over eggs or a sand shrimp tale good luck on the water guys
Dan

S
sparsegreyhackle
you'll dig the longer stick, I do. went from a 9'6 to a 10'6 myself. a little hard to fish alone out of a boat tho. unless your net has a reeeaaaly long handle! lol