Summer steelhead setup

E
engineerfisherman
I'm new to steelhead fishing and recently purchased a Field and Stream IM7 9' 6-10lb medium light action 1/4-1/2oz since it was on sale and the guy at Dicks said it was a great starter rod for steelhead. I also bought a Pflueger president reel since it was also on sale and recommended as a good reel. Now that I have this setup I'm looking for what type of fishing it is best for. I know a lot of people like longer rods for float fishing, but is it really necessary? I have both 10lb and 20lb braided line, but I'm not sure which one to use or what to use for a leader. Right now I'm assuming this setup will work for float fishing unless told differently. I will be both bank and boat fishing this year so should I have different setups for each?

B
bran_man
Yeah if you're going to have braid as your mainline, I would use it as a float rod for sure. For your leaders, I would use 10 or 8 pound test mono depending on which pound test you decide to go for your mainline. I usually have my leaders about 1 1/2 - 2 feet long. Steelhead stalkers has a website with tons of how to tutorials on setting up rods. Great references! I learned a lot of my own stuff from their vids when k was first starting out. The idea of a longer rod for float fishing is so you can cast farther, and mend your line easier at distances and do hook sets at farther distances. For float fishing, I use a 9' 6" or a 10'6" rod. For drift fishing for summer steel I use a 8'6" with 10lb main and 8 lb leader. Float fishing is a great method for beginning steelheaders! It's obvious when you have a strike and you go through a lot less gear than learning drift fishing (i would still highly recommend learning drift fishing too because its super deadly) hope that helps! :)

E
engineerfisherman
Yeah I've been checking out the steelhead stalkers website and watched several of the videos. I got my pole set up for float fishing and plan on trying it out tomorrow. I had a hard time finding a drennan or west coast bobber that everyone talks about so a thill that I got will have to do for now. I'm running 20lb tuff line braid with a the thill slide bobber and then a in line 1/4oz barrel swivel weight. For my leader I used 8lb fluorocarbon about 2ft length, a couple of split shots, and then a yarn ball on a number 4 hook. Also picked up some sand shrimp oil scent for the yarnie. Are there any good spots near town where I can bank fish and mostly work on getting a hang of the float method without having to travel too far?

T
the_intimidator03
well... Where is "near town" If I knew that I could point you in the direction of places with the drennan type floats and possibly some fishing holes.

W
whammond
Hey! I'd like to know about some places to get those Drennan floats. I have been getting them from ebay, but the turn around time sucks after you manage to leave one in a tree! Haha. And engineerfisherman, where abouts do you live? I've been thinking about trying to get out in the evenings after work to get some float fishing done around Eugene. I drive right by some fishing holes on my way to and from work.

E
engineerfisherman
Oops...got my location fixed now. I'm in Eugene and I know Oregon rod and reel is supposed to get a shipment of them in towards the end of next week.

T
the_intimidator03
Yes Oregon Rod and Reel has them and I think Mazama also has them. As for some fishing locations you can hit below dexter dam. I know this is a major combat fishing hole but the normal "flossing" deck is fenced off. You could possibly achieve some drifts off the rocks, or on the other side by the hatchery. There is also elijah bristow and jasper parks just downstream from there. And if you want to stay around in town island park in glendwood.

H
hawgcaller
Oregon Rod Reel and Tackle has the Drennan floats from time to time. It takes him a while to get them so if you want some I suggest buying a few when he gets them in stock because they don't last long. I have never seen the Drennan floats at Mazama. I know Mazama can get the West Coast Floats, I ordered some from there though and it took literally over a month to get them. You just have to look around.

J
JeannaJigs
the_intimidator03 said:
Yes Oregon Rod and Reel has them and I think Mazama also has them. As for some fishing locations you can hit below dexter dam. I know this is a major combat fishing hole but the normal "flossing" deck is fenced off. You could possibly achieve some drifts off the rocks, or on the other side by the hatchery. There is also elijah bristow and jasper parks just downstream from there. And if you want to stay around in town island park in glendwood.

Oh man, don't send a newb into the worst combat zone there is! That place is TERRIBLE, they will eat you up and spit you out. There's good fishing near pengra, jasper, Clearwater, island park, Alton baker, and many places along the bike path between VRC and belt line.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
Oh man, don't send a newb into the worst combat zone there is! That place is TERRIBLE, they will eat you up and spit you out. There's good fishing near pengra, jasper, Clearwater, island park, Alton baker, and many places along the bike path between VRC and belt line.

Yeah, Dexter will leave a bad taste in your mouth for years. lol

E
engineerfisherman
The sound of "combat fishing" doesn't sound too enticing so I think I will stay clear of Dexter. I managed to get out this morning for a couple hrs at island park and didn't get any bites, but I'm happy with my setup and feel pretty good about my technique. I think this evening I will go check out clearwater and see if I can find a descent hole. Thanks for all the input everyone!

H
hawgcaller
Don't get too scared of the dams. Those are really your best bet from the bank as far as I am concerned. Go there and scope it out. It is pretty packed there but you just have to wake up real early and get the hole. That is fishing. I haven't fished dexter but leaburg is good too. Lots of fish in there. Not to say you can't get fish from the bank at any other spot mentioned because you definitely can. Just don't give up on a hole before you at least go check it out.

E
engineerfisherman
My uncle actually lives out Dexter and I talked to him today and he said they go on the Lowell/hatchery side and as long as you get there early it's not bad at all. So I'm hoping to go try that out this next weekend if the catching is still hot up there. This week I think I'll keep trying clearwater and island park in the evenings even though I haven't gotten squat there yet.

S
steelhead_stalkers
whammond said:
Hey! I'd like to know about some places to get those Drennan floats. I have been getting them from ebay, but the turn around time sucks after you manage to leave one in a tree! Haha. And engineerfisherman, where abouts do you live? I've been thinking about trying to get out in the evenings after work to get some float fishing done around Eugene. I drive right by some fishing holes on my way to and from work.

Oregon Rod Reel and Tackle. He has everything that you need to fish for steelhead or salmon. Its off of coburg rd. He does have Drennans but like whats said above they don't last long. Mostly because I buy them all! :lol: Mike at the tackle shop can give you an idea on places to try out. He will probably tell you where I have been catching them. :D

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
Hey I did include a little warning about the combat fishing LOL. Best of luck with your fishing endeavers

E
engineerfisherman
I was Oregon rod reel and tackle last friday and got some really helpful advice from Mike. I didn't ask him too much about where to fish, just more about tackle and technique for summer steelhead. In the short time I was in there I certainly learned a lot. For now I'm just hoping to find some time to make it on the river. Thanks for all your help!

hobster
hobster
Yeah, i stopped by there a couple of weeks ago and he was super cool and informative. They seem like the best place around for steelhead gear, they just need to get a few more trout flies. I like to support local business - check them out if you haven't.

E
engineerfisherman
So I've pretty much decided that I want to have a dedicated drift setup and float setup. Right now it seams that I am float fishing with a drift rod and then its a pain to swith back to drift fishing so I'm in the market to get a float rod and use my pflueger reel on it. I also want to get a good reel for my drift rod which will be the current rod I'm using(field and stream im7 9' med-light 6-10lb 1/4-1/2oz). I've looked at both the Okuma celilo and sst and it seems a lot of people like them. I like my pflueger so far, but do I need anything different for a drift reel?