Sturgeon city

C
cpeaslee
I just posted this in the Willamette River thread, but it may be more suitable here.

After a handful of trips to Tillamook bay and a few hundred bucks in gas and bait, I was not getting very excited to return for another attempt as I have not been successful with my catch this year. Several missed opportunities, but no fish caught. Although I am catch and release fisherman, I still prefer to go home with the thrill of the fight and a few photos rather than nothing at all.

Living in Portland metro area and the Willamette just a few miles from home, I figured I would channel some of that gas money into a Sturgeon set up and spend more time on the water. Picked up a Tiger Stick (20-50), a Penn 320gt loaded with 85 lb braided line, hooks, dacron leader, weights, etc. And I am happy to say this was a good choice for me. I went out on Sunday, fished a few holes between Milwaukie and Oregon city. The problem is my anchor system was designed to power up and down using a warn winch that is installed under the front deck of the boat, The winch died and the anchor is a 50lb back breaker. Pulling it up by hand was not my idea of fun. I would anchor in 50 ft and drift back so the boat was over the100+ feet deep holes. One time I just got the anchor down and it was right on the edge of 45 and97 ft. Well, it slipped off into the deep water. Pulled it up again and took another try at it. I finally noticed all of the Sturgeon that were jumping and decided to do some investigating. I found that all of the water where I saw them jumping was 80-85 ft deep. I parked my boat in an area that was 80ft and there was no current. Perfect! I won't have to drop that anchor again! I was fishing that spot for about 10 minutes and was about to call it a day and got the strike I was waiting for...and he stripped the bait. A new bait and about 2 minutes on the bottom and I hooked into one.

WHAT A KICK IN THE PANTS!!!

It ended up being a 60" Sturgeon. I sat in the seat with my feet against the edge edge of the boat to brace myself while I battled this monster. I was unsure about lifting it into the boat as I knew it was oversize, so I layed the fish flat on the water and marked my boat so I could measure it later.

I am still smiling...

Screenshot_2013-10-20-21-06-59_zps96bf3002.png

The next day, I went to Fisherman's and bought a Columbia River anchor system (anchor, buoy and lift, 300ft rope, chain, etc( to make the future trips much more enjoyable.

I am hooked on Sturgeon fishing!

Reactions: bass
E
eugene1
Great lookin sturg there! Glad you got a good anchor system now too, 50# anchor seems like overkill!

Best,

bass
bass
Great job!

One tip I would give is that in general I have found more willing biters when I can find current. Not always true, but seems to be true far more often than not. Also remember when anchoring in the Willie that there usually is several feet of tide exchange and for the most part the outgoing is the better time (more current).

Pulling up a 50lb anchor sounds pretty brutal - I hate pulling up my 10lb pyramid!

Maybe I will see you out there one of these days.

T
troutmasta
Another Gator pic nice:thumb:

J
JeannaJigs
Awesome looking fish. I have a 45 pound anchor in my drift boat that I have to pull from behind me and it blows. Deepest that thing has ever been was 60 feet and it sucks. Winch must be nice when it works

C
cpeaslee
bass said:
Great job!

One tip I would give is that in general I have found more willing biters when I can find current. Not always true, but seems to be true far more often than not. Also remember when anchoring in the Willie that there usually is several feet of tide exchange and for the most part the outgoing is the better time (more current).told

Pulling up a 50lb anchor sounds pretty brutal - I hate pulling up my 10lb pyramid!

Maybe I will see you out there one of these days.

Oh I think you are spot on with fishing in the current. That is what I have been told by many.

After pulling that "tanchor" by hand, I was relieved to find some deep water that I did not have to anchor in. Now that I am properly equipped with an anchor lift, I will anchor where there is current.

I fish in a 17' center console, open bow Almar with a 115 Merc outboard and an electric motor on the bow. Feel free to stop if you see me.

bass
bass
cpeaslee said:
Oh I think you are spot on with fishing in the current. That is what I have been told by many.

After pulling that "tanchor" by hand, I was relieved to find some deep water that I did not have to anchor in. Now that I am properly equipped with an anchor lift, I will anchor where there is current.

I fish in a 17' center console, open bow Almar with a 115 Merc outboard and an electric motor on the now.

I did not see the part below the pic in the first email where you got yourself a "proper" anchor. Good luck, I will probably see you out there sometime.

M
Moe
Find current and you will find fish. A rule I live by. Since I bank fish I don't bother even going if the river isn't very fast. If the water is very high and fast I do the opposit and find the slower water. The big ones will be found in whatever water is more suitable for preferred by the fish that day. Some days I'm only dropping my gear down 20-30 ft off the bank, other days I cast mid river. Switch around til you find the fish. 20 ft can make a big difference. Good luck out there us c/r guys will have river for a very long time