Sturgeon C&R closure on Willamette

C
cdumitru78
That makes sense, and really, I prefer more secluded places. Kelly Point sounds like it may be my best bet, and I go there looking for carp sometimes anyways, might as well take a sturgeon rod and check it out.

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
Got to be able to cast out at least 100 yds. Or more. Check out the depth chart for the Willamette mouth it'll show ya afew holes

C
cdumitru78
Agh, that's gonna be interesting to see if I can get out there!

T
troutmasta
AYouthFullOfFishing said:
Got to be able to cast out at least 100 yds. Or more. Check out the depth chart for the Willamette mouth it'll show ya afew holes

100 ft?

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
Probly 200ft really. If ur looking for big sturgeon godda have a big ass pole so you can Huck it out there as far as possible. That's why I fish here downtown. 50ft hole 10 yards out.

B
Big3d
The closure is almost over! While the fishing may not be too hot this time of year, I'm looking forward to visiting west linn for a little sturgie action.

M
Merle
Last Tuesday on the Willamette.

H
HereFishy
Nice fish Merle. If you don't mind me asking, where abouts was that at? Now before you go thinking I'm just another troller "fishing" for other people's hot spots. I come offering a hot spot trade, if you will. My go-to, never fails, my buddy wants to catch a big fish so I take him here, hot spot is as follows. (It's not a well guarded secret and I don't really care who utilizes this information. That's why I'm posting it in the thread.)

Launch at Cathedral Park (free parking), head upstream for about half a mile, you'll pass under St. John's and a train bridge, about 200 yards past the train bridge there will be some rusty orange pilings on the north side of the river, drop anchor parallel with those pilings about 50 yards out and you'll be in about 50 feet of water and on a shelf. There are literally oodles of dinos there.

You'd be hard pressed to not catch at least 5 or 6 just like the one in your pic. The last time I went there, my buddy landed 13 and I landed 8.

Happy fishing,
Kyle

M
Merle
Hello Kyle,
Out from where the Milwaukie boat ramp used to be. We were there again Yesterday (Thursday) I caught one that when we brought it along side
the boat, the guide estimated it to be over 6 feet and 150 pounds. A lot of fun on a medium 8 1/2 foot Salmon/Steelhead Ugly Stik. We released him without removing him from the water. I'll try to post pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
Big3d
Nice fish! Tomorrow will be my first trip to west linn dock. I will report back.

D
DrTheopolis
Merle said:
Last Tuesday on the Willamette.

Not to be a killjoy, but you probably shouldn't post pics on the internet of a person flagrantly violating game laws.

But cool fish.

H
HereFishy
How is that violating game laws?

M
Merle
Please explain what laws were violated ?

D
DrTheopolis
Merle said:
Please explain what laws were violated ?

More than one.

Unlawful to: Remove oversize sturgeon totally or in part from the water (Statewide regs)

Sturgeon over 54 inches in fork length cannot be removed totally or
in part from the water. (Willamette Zone regs)

In my book, no harm, no foul -- I'm just sayin'. Offering advice, not criticism.

bass
bass
DrTheopolis said:
More than one.

Unlawful to: Remove oversize sturgeon totally or in part from the water (Statewide regs)

Sturgeon over 54 inches in fork length cannot be removed totally or
in part from the water. (Willamette Zone regs)

In my book, no harm, no foul -- I'm just sayin'. Offering advice, not criticism.

I don't think there were any laws were broken. Does not look like the overhead sturgeon is oversized, I would guess it is in the mid-40s. The pics of the big girl show the fish safely in the water.

T
troutmasta
Not oversize. Not the best to hoist them that high either. Good looking out. Nice fish too.

D
DrTheopolis
To clarify -- violation or not, I don't think it's the end of the world either way. I doubt the fish is any worse for the wear.

bass
bass
I agree with you all (TM and Dr T) that it is best not to hold fish you intend to release out of the water like that.

M
Merle
A Good way to release

A Good way to release

bass said:
I agree with you all (TM and Dr T) that it is best not to hold fish you intend to release out of the water like that.

Releasing fish by pointing them face first and dropping them into the water forces oxygen though their gills reviving them fast for a fast trip back down to the bottom.

I have watched Professional Guide Sturgeon Frank featured on Angler West TV Doing this.

M
minnowmagnet
I think this thread is great! 3 different great sturgeon spots shared with the public. AYFOF's dock is fully legal and I have fished (and people-watched) there for years. It seems like it fishes better once we get some rain and current. That Jefferson St. ramp spot and the train-trestle spot I have always liked too and have caught lots there. I love this. I'll share one too, though I know most people in the know are already acquainted with it. Maybe someone else would like to share one of their favorites. Cool bank fishing spots win extra karma

• Eastmoreland Golf Course Hole.jpg