Strange day on the Willamette

18406ej
18406ej
I went to the Willamette in Salem yesterday, and saw several good size salmon jumping around. I did some fishing with some spinners and with some eggbait sacs. I didn't have any luck with the spinners, but I did have some strange experiences with the eggs...everytime I cast out, I would wait for a minute, and the bobber would slowly start to swim upstream. It would go a good distance, with the bobber going down suddenly, and then popping up without a hook-up. Regardless of size of hook that I used, I could never get a hook up, even though the bobber was taken down hard on several occasions. So what gives? Anyone with insights into the cause of this is more than welcome to let me know! Even with the hard rains, it was a good day.

Admin
Admin
:think: If a bobber swims upstream, i would say it's safe to make an assumption that someone was pooling it there... unless it was in that weird spot where the current was... against the current :D

B
bd2cool
Even with the hard rains, it was a good day.

You got that right-I am hoping to make it out on Friday-I don;t check the weather until I stick my head out in the morning.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Anatoliy said:
:think: If a bobber swims upstream, i would say it's safe to make an assumption that someone was pooling it there... unless it was in that weird spot where the current was... against the current :D

you were in a back edy

G
Growbug
Yup.. seen it a couple of times recently. Throw bobber upsteam, it comes down, just off the main flow, then starts curling and going back upstream, only to sink real fast.

reason is that backeddies create a vortex in the center, which has two effects. First is that everything will travel towards the vortex and then get pulled down by the swirl effect. Second is that lots and lots of tiny bubbles will be created around the vortex. When water has enough bubbles in it, it loses the ability to "float' objects, and straight down they do.