Steelhead worms

T
Troutier Bassier
To fish with Jigs?
Try using that with eggs for chinooks.

C
colbypearson
they look good :) (i dont know much about steelhead) but i have been pouring plastics off and on for a few years since i was 13 so about 3 years what molds do you use??? i have the best luck with aluminum molds you could improve your worms 100% by buying special plastic molds and glitter etc assuming those are handpours are you just starting handpouring or have you been doing it for a long time i would like some tips if you are a veteran at pouring if not i know quite a bit about it if you were wondering about stuff :) i get most of my stuff from lurecraft.com and the rest from barlows both have a great selection of pouring stuff

T
TTFishon
colbypearson said:
they look good :) (i dont know much about steelhead) but i have been pouring plastics off and on for a few years since i was 13 so about 3 years what molds do you use??? i have the best luck with aluminum molds you could improve your worms 100% by buying special plastic molds and glitter etc assuming those are handpours are you just starting handpouring or have you been doing it for a long time i would like some tips if you are a veteran at pouring if not i know quite a bit about it if you were wondering about stuff :) i get most of my stuff from lurecraft.com and the rest from barlows both have a great selection of pouring stuff

I just started pouring my own. My wife got me a kit from lurecraft for Christmas. I thought about getting some aluminum molds. I've made some attempts at making my own molds using plaster of paris but they didn't work out too well. My next attempt I'm going to try using Bondo. I'll probably end up buying my molds if the Bondo doesn't work out or spend the money on some RTV rubber. For these steelhead worms I used my bass worm molds. My next batch of steelhead worms are going to be nightmare worms.

C
colbypearson
ya i like the aluminum molds that way when you get one worm you like a lot you can make it over and over with a great amount of consistency i think buying really soft plastic is good for bass on a dropshot with finesse worms but for steelhead i think the same thing would apply i always see pink orange and red steelhead worms why do steelhead prefer these colors???

T
TTFishon
colbypearson said:
ya i like the aluminum molds that way when you get one worm you like a lot you can make it over and over with a great amount of consistency i think buying really soft plastic is good for bass on a dropshot with finesse worms but for steelhead i think the same thing would apply i always see pink orange and red steelhead worms why do steelhead prefer these colors???

That's pretty much all I use for bass fishing so I thought it was a great gift. I don't know why steelhead like the colors they like. Someone else might be able to better answer that question. I'm mainly a bass fisherman but I thought I'd make up some steelhead worms too. Why not? It's a lot cheaper to make them than it is to buy them.

C
colbypearson
ya it equals out to 750+ worms per gallon of plastic witch runs $39.99ish depending on the quality i also only bass fish for the mos part

M
Mike123
Troutier Bassier said:
To fish with Jigs?
Try using that with eggs for chinooks.

You said FLY rod. I don't fish BAIT or JIGS with a fly rod.

T
TTFishon
colbypearson said:
ya it equals out to 750+ worms per gallon of plastic witch runs $39.99ish depending on the quality i also only bass fish for the mos part

Yep, that's a great deal and it doesn't take too long to whip up a batch of worms either. I've seen your other posts and I'll probably learn some things from you since you are a pro. I can't wait for the bass bite to take off.

T
Troutier Bassier
Mike123 said:
Oh, Sorry. Dident know that...

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:

Something's been fishy here... he's been saying you could cast bobbers and jigs with fly rods... :think:

M
metalfisher76
FishSchooler said:
Something's been fishy here... he's been saying you could cast bobbers and jigs with fly rods... :think:

Yep, micro jigs and ThingyMAbobbers (JUST TINY BOBBERS). Roll cast. Simple. Very effective on some waters.

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:

I consider micro jigs flies. No point in calling them jigs when they weigh 1/64 or less. :lol:

T
Troutier Bassier
I dont "Cast" it like you would think, I just flip it out there with a underhand swing..

S
steelhead_stalkers
Mike123 said:
I consider micro jigs flies. No point in calling them jigs when they weigh 1/64 or less. :lol:

They are tied on a jig hook so technically they are a jig. ;) You could call 1/4 and 1/2oz jigs sinkers too but nobody does! :lol::lol::lol:

S
steelhead_stalkers
Center Pins are considered fly rods and they are just super float setups to cast jigs and floats. :) Also you can indicator (bobber) fish with a fly rod, I see it daily. I don't think its the best method and does not give the best presentation but people do it.

M
Mike123
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions here on OFF :)

S
steelhead_stalkers
True, true. ;)

H
Hook
Pink Worms don't catch fish:whistle:

J
joesnuffy
Mike123 said:
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions here on OFF :)

I"m not. My opinion is terrible.

M
Mike123
joesnuffy said:
I"m not. My opinion is terrible.

If I were looking for advice I'd take it from you, judging my your avatar pic! ;)