Steelhead technique questions.

everett464
So I have recently begun targeting the occasional steelhead with a fly rod, and I wanted to pick the collective OFF brain.

What techniques do ya'll employ when you're trying to hook up with steel? I'm not asking for any secrets here; answers can be as vague as you want them to be.

So far, I have been looking for them on the McKenzie, fishing out of a driftboat, and drifting/swinging leaches down into the current.

I also have drifted big leggy nymphs under an indicator, but for some reason have very little faith in that technique.

Like I said, any advice would be great, give as much or as little advice as you are comfortable with.

Everett

Last edited:
GDBrown
Bump!

eggs
I have been tightline 45 degree swing with sink tip.. couple hookups but nothing landed

GDBrown
eggs said:
I have been tightline 45 degree swing with sink tip.. couple hookups but nothing landed

What do you have on the end of the tippet?

GD

everett464
Thanks for the bump, GDBrown. I was a little surprised at the somewhat shy response (AKA: zilch) to my question, from what is normally a pretty verbal crowd.

Eggs, I'm curious about your fly too, no problem if you are keeping it close to the chest. Do you think I could sub in split shot for the sinking tip?

In related news, did anyone see Jay's Summer Steelhead Chenille series on oregonflyfishingblog.com ? I wonder hw a few of those would perform down underneath that 45° swing?

eggs
I have been rocking freight train, golden demon, green butt skunk, limit lander flash, black/purple egg sucking leach, street walker, skyhomish sunrise, sugeon general and the irish carbomb! All depending on light and water color and water temp.

Yohan
I prefer to swing when wade fishing, but will fish egg patterns, beads, and nymphs under an indicator or pull a streamer when fishing from a boat.

I recommend going to the library and checking out "Steelhead Flyfishing" by Trey Combs and "The Complete Steelheader: successful fly-fishing tactics" by John Larison. Both are great, well written books that focus on fishing for steelhead here in the northwest.

Top Bottom